HELP REQUIRED : How to lower the boot lock!!

Wasso

I have, as some people have read that I have put my boot struts back on my carbon boot :yahoo:

Problem:

The boot being so light needs some assistance to sit snug around the boot enclosure. I can slide my finger underneath the boot not inside, but to the lip surround just inside.

My thoughts on this is to lower the lock mechanism which holds the boot in place.

I'm thinking that lowering the boot will produce a tighter seal between the car and the boot lid.

Those with Carbon boots may have experienced this, so any tips would be appreciated.

If anyone has the answer - how to lower the lock please let me know asap! (I am guessing a large amount of boot plastics will need to be removed - a mini guide on this would be helpful!

Cheers

Wasso!

The boot bushes or springs what ever they are called are already removed. So there is no adverse pressure lifting the boot. Due to the oem boot being so heavy it aids with sitting nice and tight against the bodywork.

The struts seem fine in terms of pressure, it does slightly lift the boot in comparison to having no struts fitted. I believe the main issue is the lightness of the boot not getting a firm seating against the body of the car.

The suggestion of reducing the catch loop seems a good one although I think being Seibon it may not be user friendly and allow me to shorten the catch length. I really think I'm being forced into lowering the lock mechanism.

have you weakened the boot struts? they must need the pressure lowerin, are they not like a catapult?

When the struts were off - the boot would sit about 3mm away from snug. With the struts on they sit about 6mm from snug.

There is literally no weight in the CF boot. The rubber seal that sits around the boot of course diverts water away from underneath the boot. It's this rubber seal that is slightly lifting the boot (this is how light these boots are).

I can apply a light amount of pressure to the boot and it sits snug. I feel that giving the lock mechanism and bit of a jig will then hold the boot in place.

Currently - with or without shocks the boot can be seen to bounce slightly in my rear view mirror. This is where I think the lock requires adjustment. I'm about to pop out so I shall take a secondary look at the lock hoop on the boot to see if it can be adjusted.

Any more comments or suggestions are welcome.... (no I'm not going to put the oem boot back on :p - or add weights to the boot :p )

Right - I've checked the hoop. It's a screw in fitting - I guess a bit of cutting and welding would sort the problem. Alternatively source and fit a smaller hoop.

Only problem being is that I am due to travel to Europe tomorrow - so would really like to get this sorted before I leave. Slightly distracting seeing my boot flap just a little.

I wish I had never put my struts back on - at least it sits more snug, but during the trip it's going to be a pain to keep opening the boot as we are camping and staying 4 different sites.

There's got to be a simple solution!! A small child would be good for weight - i.e. super glued to my boot lid. Although it wouldn't make for a good spoiler!

Thing is, after searching the interweb and on here - there's nowt written about the lock mechanism!

so you could possibly unscrew the lock, add some washers and put back on? im not nest to the car so cant have a look just now.

Hmmm I'm slightly convinced, it's worth a shot.

Cheers Husk!

I have the spare counter balance weight that came off my boot if you could bolt that some where it might help it to down a bit better... Just a thought.

Let me know if you want it... I'm using it as a door stop at the moment :lol:

Like it - door stop!!

To be honest I'd like to avoid adding weight - hence the CF boot. A good idea for sure, although the boot is still going to flop around a bit as it's not snug. It was a fraction better without the struts, but now the struts giving just a slight amount of lift.

Going to have a bash at fixing tonight.

Cheers for the offer! :thumbs:

Yeah I've seen that company advertised. The only issue being - take the struts off and it's still not perfect - looking for the snug fit, i.e. the boot doesn't lift when you pull it up (when shut).

I believe the lock is the answer to my woes..... and to be honest the struts are just perfect. I press the button and it lifts on it's own without any hassle or drama. So I don't think I'd need a de-gas it's just the fitting against the lock which is the issue!! :angry:

hi pal ive got the very same prob on my seibon boot!!! ive lowerd the catch wich takes 5 mins!!!!! this made it slightly better but still wasn't enough on mine so ive filed out another 5mm on the catch fixing holes to go even lower but to be fair it still sits higher than i would like. If yours only needs 3mm then lowering the catch would be the best rute it takes like 5min mate im in mansfield if you wanted to pop over :thumbs:

hi pal ive got the very same prob on my seibon boot!!! ive lowerd the catch wich takes 5 mins!!!!! this made it slightly better but still wasn't enough on mine so ive filed out another 5mm on the catch fixing holes to go even lower but to be fair it still sits higher than i would like. If yours only needs 3mm then lowering the catch would be the best rute it takes like 5min mate im in mansfield if you wanted to pop over :thumbs:

Nurrish was telling me that you are also a fellow Seibon boot owner. I was going to pm you later but save the bother you are here. Ta da!!!!! :band:

I'd love to come up - problem is I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow for 10 days - so I was hoping to get a fix before I leave. I need I would say a total of 6mm movement in all - maybe 8mm at a push.

Would you be able to give a brief guide over the forum or pm either way, just so I have a quicker route to the problem.

I'm guessing plastic removals in the boot area - and then a simple case of a spanner and lowering the lock mechanism. I haven't actually removed any boot plastics as yet, only because there's always a starting point with these plastics as I found in the interior!!!

Help greatly appreciated!!