Question for those with scorpion and std Y pipe..

kazman

Hi all.

I'm wondering how much the volume & tone of the exhaust note changes with just the above mod? I have been tempted to change my back box from the std UK one for some time, but cant really justify the cost of the Y pipe as well (as its purely for the sound).

I have listened to countless Youtube clips but they are not easy to judge, and i always struggle making meets.

So if anyone can give me an honest view on whether it is worth making the change on just the back box, or whether you really need to do the Y pipe as well it would be much appreciated :thumbs:

I have that setup and it's subtle but definitely noticeable, especially when the exhaust is hot. More of a growl at low revs with extra bass, and even more of a difference at high revs. Nothing crazy but definitely an improvement. I now want a Y pipe though for a bit more volume!

I've got this on my car. Was bought like it. Personally I would prefer a standard system as its a bit boomy for me at low revs and it feels slightly chav imo. Sounds ok once its up in the mid range though.

I also had this setup when I bought my car.

I'm not big on extremely loud exhausts and think the sounds is perfect (heavenly even :cloud9: ). :thumbs:

All I can say is DOOOOO IIIIIITT!!

Thats just with the back box?

The thing is, the std system has quite a nice sound to it (UK), which is why im always interested to hear peoples before and after impressions. I would just like the exhaust system to be a bit more audible at higher revs. It sounds great between 1.5K to 2.5K or so.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

I've got this on my car. Was bought like it. Personally I would prefer a standard system as its a bit boomy for me at low revs and it feels slightly chav imo. Sounds ok once its up in the mid range though.

eh ???

Chavvy ?? I couldn't disagree more, it's the most subtle exhaust out there IMO , are you sure you don't have a K1 ( not that I'm saying they are chavvy) but they are certainly loud.

If it is a Scorpion and you don't like it then why not swap with the OP then you will both be happy. Simples :thumbs:

eh ???

Chavvy ?? I couldn't disagree more, it's the most subtle exhaust out there IMO , are you sure you don't have a K1 ( not that I'm saying they are chavvy) but they are certainly loud.

If it is a Scorpion and you don't like it then why not swap with the OP then you will both be happy. Simples :thumbs:

It just reminds me of the 1.0 Novas / clios with after market exhausts making a lot of noise from no throttle. I'm not against a loud exhaust, just loud when I give it some beans not on a small amount of throttle. I think its also because the engine note isn't particularly sporty, and doesn't really change with engine load too much so again sounds more like the average family car with drain pipe attached.

Its definitely a scorpion. I don't want to swap because

1. I can't be bothered, its not that annoying.

2. The originals don't last as well as they should and I don't want to be replacing the thing in a year or two.

They asked for opinions this is mine.

It just reminds me of the 1.0 Novas / clios with after market exhausts making a lot of noise from no throttle.

They asked for opinions this is mine.

:headhurt:

Thats fair enough bud, I just find it hard to believe that we are talking about the same exhaust tbh

each to their own I guess :)

To be fair its not awful otherwise I would change it. Its just not as good as the stock exhaust up to say 2500 rpm which is where most of my driving is esp on the motorway. I'm not really a fan of changing the car unless its functional in terms of performance which I don't think this is.

So I'm not saying its bad, just for me and what I use the car for not as good as a stock system would be, therefore I wouldn't recommend changing it from a noise perspective, but then I use my car as a run around its not what I drive 'for fun'.

I have just fitted today a scorpion exhaust and a envy y pipe and it deftly sounds better than the standard system.

I stayed away from the k1s as they are so loud but this sounds better than the oem without being louder if you see what I mean.

I would suggest changing to this setup but only when your other exhaust has had it like mine had.

i dont even notice the difference on low revs from my scorpion, makes noise when booted, but not that noticable inside the car, hardly any noise on the motorways unless opened up and thrashed.

i think the guy with the noisey one may be running a japspeed k2 as it does not sound like the same exhaust he's talking about.

i dont even notice the difference on low revs from my scorpion, makes noise when booted, but not that noticable inside the car, hardly any noise on the motorways unless opened up and thrashed.

i think the guy with the noisey one may be running a japspeed k2 as it does not sound like the same exhaust he's talking about.

To be fair its not awful otherwise I would change it. Its just not as good as the stock exhaust up to say 2500 rpm which is where most of my driving is esp on the motorway.

IMO the engine is labouring slightly @ 2500 rpm, I do a lot of motorway miles and 3k is much more smooth and economical :thumbs:

Interesting replys.

As my exhaust is still in good condition i dont think i will change it. It seems like a lot of you dont think there is a lot of change in the sound inside the cabin, and i am not thinking about doing it for the benefit of others (ie those outside the car)!

I may well change my mind again tomorrow of course....