New Head Unit

thebesh

Hi Guys

I've been thinking of upgrading the bose headunit - mainly to get some sort of sat/nav system and also to do away with the tape player/ipod connection. I had considered Nurrish's satnav system, but I'm really not a fan of FM transmitters and would need to buy a new headunit anyway to get the best out of my ipod.

So I like the look of the Pioneer systems best and I'm willing to spend about 600quid on a system. Being a bit of a noob on the subject of headunits I was looking for some recommendations from you guys - should I be looking at Alpine head units or is there some other manufacturer I'm overlooking?

All recommendations greatfully recieved :-)

I toyed with the notion of sat nav in a double din unit, but the cubby hole above the double din is too convenient and saves you having the faff of worrying about the handbrake cables etc.

Also, the only sat nav double din unit I've seen sub £600 is the JVC KW-NX7000.

Love the pioneer avh3100dvd I've got and think it suits the Z perfectly, personally I'd get the newer version below and just stick a sat nav in the cubby hole above:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... 12878.html

I was also thinking of getting the intergrated satnav/head unit, but ive just got a new mobile (Samsung Galaxy S) which has google maps and it seems to be quite a good little satnav. So i might stick that in the cubby or get a mount for it, and spend less on the head unit but maybe get better sound quality for my money. Just wondering if its worth spending on an amp and speakers/sub, or if a better H/U will improve the sound quality anyway.

As mentioned before you will struggle to find a double din with sat nav for £600 or less, they usually come in at around £1000 for a decent one.

I would go alpine but thats just me, if you dont plan on upgrading the speakers and sub the Imprint processor for the alpine headunits does wonders with the bose setup.

ps. not to sure what the comment about handbrake cables refers too.

Usually with sat navs you have to wire a neutral eart to the handbrake so you can only adjust it when the handbrake is up, same for watching dvd's all ya do is wire it straight to earth behind the hu to bypass it.

As for headunit's i think the pioneers are the best out there by a mile.

Usually with sat navs you have to wire a neutral eart to the handbrake so you can only adjust it when the handbrake is up, same for watching dvd's all ya do is wire it straight to earth behind the hu to bypass it.

As for headunit's i think the pioneers are the best out there by a mile.

I knew that, just wasnt sure why someone would think its a faff.

Ps. Alpine are easily the best headunits, i mean who wants swimming dolphins :)

As mentioned before you will struggle to find a double din with sat nav for £600 or less, they usually come in at around £1000 for a decent one.

I would go alpine but thats just me, if you dont plan on upgrading the speakers and sub the Imprint processor for the alpine headunits does wonders with the bose setup.

ps. not to sure what the comment about handbrake cables refers too.

I picked up a Pioneer F310BT for about £500 a few months ago. Comes with sat nav, bluetooth, ipod link :)