Real world difference between 2005 and 2006 engines

Dave_McC

Hi all.

I've been lurking on here for a while picking up info - I love the 350z and am set on getting a roadster.

How much real world difference is there between the 2005 and 2006 engines - I have a brochure for each, and both have a power and torque graph. The new spec engine appears to have a much broader spread of torque, which should make it a much more relaxed drive. However, nether torque graph has a scale on it so the graphs may be deceptive.

Has anyone owned / driven both and can comment?

The devil says order a new one and what the hell - you only live once. But that will cost quite a bit on credit, and there are one year old sub 10k mile examples on the nissan website for £25k or £26k - which will be a saving of £6k because I WILL spec satnav, alezan seats and metallic pushing the price up to £32k.

Also, has anyone got any experience of www.drivethedeal.com - they've been recommended by Honest John on numerous occasions, and can do a brand new one at almost £1k off list - local main dealer won't even talk discounts.

Cheers

Dave

You could do what I did and go in between with a 2005 GT4 limited edition, which has the 2006 300ps engine. Either in the lovely Ultra Yellow like Sarnies or the more subtle kuro black like mine.

Its totally subjective but the newer engine seems to pull a bit harder over 5k and it also has a higher redline.

My one year old with 5k miles cost me £22.5k, but no Sat Nav or Alezan (which is a good thing IMHO ;) )

Bugger - just re-read your post and you want a roadster. Never mind. :blush:

You could do what I did and go in between with a 2005 GT4 limited edition, which has the 2006 300ps engine. Either in the lovely Ultra Yellow like Sarnies or the more subtle kuro black like mine.

Its totally subjective but the newer engine seems to pull a bit harder over 5k and it also has a higher redline.

My one year old with 5k miles cost me £22.5k, but no Sat Nav or Alezan (which is a good thing IMHO ;) )

:stupid:

I had the same doubts. 2005 or 2006 model.

Finally I went for the 2006, for several reasons, the first one being that the 2006 looks nicer (the interior does look better, i had the chance to compare them next to eachother, the exterior too with the LED taillights). They also made adjustments to the powersteering and the sat-nav. Ofcourse being able to rev the engine another 500rpm higher will be nice too B)

When cashing out that kind of money for a car I wanted to have the latest model, and not already start with something "dated" which will be harder to sell than the current model come resale time in 4-5 years.

Here is what they told me on 350zuk.com

These are the changes to the interior -

1. Shiny Air-Con Knobs

2. Soft-touch plastic/better quality plastic all around you.

3. More shiny aluminiumey bits.

4. Better position for the hazard warning light switch.

5. better position for the heated seat switches.

6. Nicer, bigger, illuminated buttons on the steering wheel

7. Illuminated cup holders (in doors)

8. Coin tray in dashboard

9. More/ better storage near the handbrake area

10. Bluetooth integrated phone module as standard

11. Speed-sensitive power steering

12. Lighter clutch pedal (I prefer this)

13. material covering in door pockets.

14. Improved button on dashboard cubby door.

15. Nicer rear strut bar cover.

16. slightly nicer "tonneau cover"

yeah, the bottle holders in the doors,

Ali bezels round the guages, which I just noticed reflect the red from the needles and look really schweeeet,

card holder in dash,

Dash cubby door that actually fits,

Double bottle/cup holder in the centre console,

Bigger knee pads,

bigger passenger net,

Bi zenon headlamps,

LED tail lamps,

Annoying ding when you go over 15mph without the seatbelt on,

Redesigned front bumper, wider at the bottom, looks lower to me too, less slats on the grille, which are now gunmetal not cheapo looking black plastic,

more as I fink of em

...now to continue the list of improvements -

Of course there's the 296bhp engine (up by 20bhp)

There's a new redline of 7,000rpm (up by 400rpm)

Variable Valve Timing on the exhausts as well as the inlets

18" Rays Alloys as standard wheels

2 colour improvements - Pearlescent Black (Ebisu) and something else that I can't remember

Must mention the LED tail lights again, because they are

you see, there are no big obvious 'in yer face' tacky changes (eg body graphics) from a people who have run out of ideas, but instead you get a myriad of subtle genuine IMPROVEMENTS from a team who are still on the case.

B)

I test drove a 2006, but i bought a 2004. My 2004 has some minor mods which I think make a difference. When I initially drove the 06 I was straight out my M3, I loved the driving position and the ride, but it just felt a bit flat, however when I first drove my 2004 it already had a Kinetix Plenum and HF Cats and wow, i'm sure it made a recognisable difference.

As for the interior, I never really expected much, but I like Alezian leather and to be honest, it doesnt rattle and most of the time my eyes are on the road

:stupid:

But what you need to decide is are those nice 2006 mods worth about £7k in depreciation, as thats probably what it will cost you :scare:

But what you need to decide is are those nice 2006 mods worth about £7k in depreciation, as thats probably what it will cost you :scare:

And that right there is the crux of matter for me always on cars :D

Im never prepared to take that hit for someone else i can barely hold onto any car more than a year.

But i am Irish and tight as a ducks arse, so bear that in mind! :)

Well i went for my 54 plate car mainly because of all the extras that i got and didn't have to pay for. It's a UK GT, with SatNav and rear parking sensors, oh and the Nismo bodykit (which was a must for me as i would only have had to spend in about a year or so to add it later) :teeth:

The other 06 cars that my dealer had in stock were nice too - but not GT versions and without all the extras i had - and they were still selling them 'nearly new' for between £4 - £5K more than my car.

For me there was no choice at all. I test drove an 06 before getting my car and i couldn't tell any difference at all. I'm sure there must be - but Jo Bloggs here who drives his car to work and back and takes the long B road route home every day wouldn't be able to really notice 20bhp. On a track maybe - but on the roads i haven't been able to.

Yours sincerely

Jo Bloggs

the default red light that comes up telling you to change up is set to 6600 - but you can change that to whatever you want - i think it does let you change it up to 7000 - and i think that the actual redline where the engine cuts the power is at 7000rpm on pre-facelifts. I just know now i've said it i'll be completely wrong :headhurt:

The rev limit on pre facelift (excluding GT4) was 6600rpm so the list is correct.

See below taken from this article:

http://www.testdriven.co.uk/news.cfm/ni ... more_power

"As befits a pure sports car, the changes target performance by enhancing the unit's free-revving ability. First seen in the limited edition 35th Anniversary edition, launched earlier this year, the engine revisions raise power from 280PS to 300PS and move the rev limit from 6,600 rpm to a heady 7,000 rpm. Peak power is now developed at 6,400 rpm, some 200 rpm higher than previously."

"The changes have brought about a slight reduction in peak torque, which has fallen from 363Nm to 353Nm at 4,800 rpm. However the revised torque curve is far flatter than before and provides greater torque reserves at higher rpm. Torque delivery in the original 350Z fell off comparatively steeply once that 4,800 rpm peak had been reached. In the latest evolution the torque curve remains more linear as engine speeds rise: at 6,000 rpm, for example, the new engine delivers a full 20 Nm more torque than its predecessor could achieve."

"What the changes mean in practice is simple: sharper acceleration through the gears. With the rev limit raised to 7,000 rpm, for example, maximum speed in third gear increases from 142 km/h to 150 km/h (88 mph to 93 mph). The benchmark 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) figure has been cut from 5.9 seconds to 5.8 seconds (6.4 to 6.3 for the Roadster)."