Clutch noise - and wheel noise

Moonhawk

Hi - i'm new here and am the proud owner of an 07 plate roadster - had it about 4 weeks (from WestWay - Birmingham). Loving it so far - but I have a couple of issues that I was wondering if I could get some advice on.

When I depress the clutch peddle in neutral - it sounds different (quieter/smoother) to when the clutch peddle is released. The louder/rougher sound starts about 3/4 of the way out and the only way I can describe it is like a dull grinding. Its not really loud - but is very noticeable above the engine/exhaust noise. I also noticed that upon the start of this sound - the rev counter blips down ever so slightly - maybe 50rpm

I did test drive a few other 350s before I bought mine and did notice this on one other car - so i'm wondering whether its something I should worry about (knackered clutch)- or is it just the way the car sounds.

Also - I have noticed a slight high pitched metalic sound coming from the passenger side of the car when on the move - its really only noticeable when i'm on the move next to a hedge or a wall with the top down (the sound must be reflecting back off the hedge/wall). My first thought was that I could have a stone trapped between the brake pad and disc - but the brakes feel fine and it doesnt get worse upon depressing the brake peddle. Could it be a wheel bearing issue?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm definitely no expert but if you have a search on here you’ll come across of references to it. I think some are noisier than others so difficult to say without comparing it to another.

I'm based in Sheldon (maybe not too far from MoonHawk?) so feel free to pop round and have a listen to mine if you want.

hello mine was very noisy to sounded kinda like chattering then when you fully depess the clutch pedel it gos away, so changed the clutch and release bearing thinking i had solved the problem, about a month later it came back i wouldent say its any thing to wurry about just more anoying would like 2 take the box out again but havent had the time.

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

Just posted this earlier today on a another newbies thread:

Noisey thrust release bearing - very, very common issue and normally nothing to worry about - see here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16709&hilit=thrust+bearing

As regards the metallic noise - might be best to get someone to listen from the passenger seat and see if it is coming from the front or rear of the car.

It could be a number of things, but for starters I would check between the disc and the backing plate to see if a stone or something is lodged there. And while checking that area make sure the pads and shims are OK - the inner pads are known to wear more.

It might be a wheel bearing although you don't normally hear the symptons associated with wheel bearing noise as 'metallic'. :shrug: