Spacers

Digsy

IMO Nothing wrong with hubcentric spacers as long as you are keeping the offset within the recommended specs. If you have a wheel sitting at ET30 via a 20mm spacer and the same wheel sitting at ET30 with no spacer the only difference between the two will be the extra weight of the bolts/studs. OK the metal is not part of the wheel but as long as its all bolted up properly should not make any difference.

If you start veering away from the proper offsets then spacers or no spacers you are running the same risk of potential tracking/camber/bearing issues

• 2 weeks later...
I know (and respect) Val's view on using spacers on aftermarket rims but does anyone else have any views/experiences to share? :)

I ve got a set of them too to fill the arches a bit more. We 'll see what happens :headhurt:

Hopefully it doesnt mess up the tracking. Installing it on the car from new, so no idea if this needs to be checked and if it will / can be checked by the dealer?

I know (and respect) Val's view on using spacers on aftermarket rims but does anyone else have any views/experiences to share? :)

I ve got a set of them too to fill the arches a bit more. We 'll see what happens :headhurt:

Hopefully it doesnt mess up the tracking. Installing it on the car from new, so no idea if this needs to be checked and if it will / can be checked by the dealer?

Excessive wear on of the bearings seems to be the problem I keep coming across. I've decided not to bother. :surrender:

As said - if you are moving the wheels out of the factory specs offset then there are risks in the same way putting straight wheels on with the wrong offset.

Don't confuse the effects of bad offset with spacers

Define "bad offset" for me Rob. :)

As said - if you are moving the wheels out of the factory specs offset then there are risks in the same way putting straight wheels on with the wrong offset.

Don't confuse the effects of bad offset with spacers

Well i havent got the slightest clue how it will influence this on my car. I just have the 18" rays alloys and some spacers to fill the arches a bit more (dealer chose the spacer sizes, i have no idea how big they are, but i told him clearly the wheels should stay IN the arches ;) ). I presume the Z is quite "flexible" in this, just by seeing the different tyre sizes nissan/nismo fit on these cars (e.g. on the rear side anything from 245's in 18 to 275's in 19). No idea about the offsets dough ;)

Ok, seem to have 25mm spacers on the back and 15mm on the fronts.

It sure looks nice B)

I just would like to know if it will be problematic, e.g. how much does this differ from having much larger wheels?

I currently have rays + spacers. Whats the difference in ET etc compared to 19" nismo's without spacers?

Just being a bit worried about the safety of all this, coz i am no expert on the matter and i dont want to get into trouble ....

48hn72x.jpg

Wow thats interesting. Supprised the delaer would do this with the obvious warranty cover they now have to provide.

15mm on the front of Rays = ET15

25mm on the back = ET8

To me those sound much lower that I would expect most places to do. From what I have read the recommened is around ET25-35 is normal but outside this is considered not the norm.

So basically this seems to be too extreme? Maybe i should go for smaller spacers?

What are the ET's of the nismo 19" wheels?

I guess the problem is that by pushing the wheel outwards that you get a biger torque on the wheel bearings, because of the distance between the contact point of the wheel and the road, and the bearings increasing?

Getting confused :wacko:

The Nismos are....

Fronts ET25 for 18x8.5

Rears ET30 for 18.9.5

Even with wider wheels you 'should' keep the offset the same as it means the wheel is balances as normal.

On smaller hatches I have known lots of people talk about not changing offset due to the extra pressure on bearings etc but of the many I know running with screwed offsets I have not heard of anyone who has actually had a problem with bearings (Some are running 60+mm out!!!)

I would not worry about it too much if the garage has done it as if there are any problems you will be able to go back and get them to fix it.

For those interested.

The spacers on my car are Eibach. I sent a mail to the dealer asking which brand spacers it was (and this sunday whilst my car was parked i saw by accident that the spacers had the eibach logo on them :D ) and in his reply he sent me the TÃœV report on the usage of those spacers on Nissans (including the Z).

So here you go

http://d.turboupload.com/d/1040968/spacers_nissan_tuv.pdf.html

Open the page, wait 30 seconds, click the link, and then you can choose to download the file.

Sorry, webspace not working atm :blush:

By the way the TUV thing does not really mean a lot. All it means is that they have passed safety tests and are manufactured well. You could get 200mm spacers that have TUV approval but putting them on your car will do it nooooo amounts of harm.

The TUV doc you have is the general one for all of the Eibach range, its not one specifically saying that the Eibachs are suitable for used on the Nissan 350z.

Ehh.

Have you actually read the file i put online, or are you just guessing? :dry:

Sorry - just re-read it and missed the table at the bottom. Handy it says the ones I am getting are also fine

:thumbs::surrender:

I thought people might be interested by this file.

Maybe something to put in the FAQ section? "Which spacers are TÃœV approved?"

I ll put a topic there. If it is incorrect/inappropriate i m sure the mods will fix it ;)