Rover V8 Vs. LS1

MattMe

So next year I'm looking at getting a project car (hopefully a 240z) and it WILL have a V8 of some description.

:cloud9:

I've got a little bit of Rover V8 experience but recently I've been thinking about other engine possibilties. The main benfit of the Rover engine is how common and cheap they are here in the UK which makes it the most likely engine I'd have chosen, but the power output isn't that impressive (around 200hp and 200lbft torque from a 3.5) and is really hard and expensive to acheive a whole lot more, hence checking out LS1s (350hp/tourque).

The newer Jag/Range Rover 4.4 put out about 300hp but they don't come cheap either.

So really I'm asking if anyone has any knowledege about the two engines in comparrison of weight (newer LS1 is aluminium), size, and power output vs. cost of the engines. I do like the Rover engines but ideally I'm after around (and over) the 300hp mark which is when you'd be looking at high capacity and highly tuned, where LS engines would give me the power I'm after completely standard, I believe.

I'm going to start looking on the net, but I know this forum hosts a lot of knowledge so if anyone can tell me anything I should consider or any figures/weights/costs and anything I've overlooked (such as other V8s) it could save me some time. I'm lazy, what can I say? :yawn:

Me.

So next year I'm looking at getting a project car (hopefully a 240z) and it WILL have a V8 of some description.

:cloud9:

I've got a little bit of Rover V8 experience but recently I've been thinking about other engine possibilties. The main benfit of the Rover engine is how common and cheap they are here in the UK which makes it the most likely engine I'd have chosen, but the power output isn't that impressive (around 200hp and 200lbft torque from a 3.5) and is really hard and expensive to acheive a whole lot more, hence checking out LS1s (350hp/tourque).

The newer Jag/Range Rover 4.4 put out about 300hp but they don't come cheap either.

So really I'm asking if anyone has any knowledege about the two engines in comparrison of weight (newer LS1 is aluminium), size, and power output vs. cost of the engines. I do like the Rover engines but ideally I'm after around (and over) the 300hp mark which is when you'd be looking at high capacity and highly tuned, where LS engines would give me the power I'm after completely standard, I believe.

I'm going to start looking on the net, but I know this forum hosts a lot of knowledge so if anyone can tell me anything I should consider or any figures/weights/costs and anything I've overlooked (such as other V8s) it could save me some time. I'm lazy, what can I say? :yawn:

Me.

Not sure if this helps but what about a bmw V8? the 4.4 v8 used in the 740 and 540. I think they are near 300bhp already. Can be tweaked pretty easily to make more and its the basis of the new FI M engines.

The V12s are huge heavy things though. I'm after small and light to fit in an old, small light car :)

BMWs a possibility though...

The crate LS1 350hp with ECU, loom , anciliries etc comes in at over £6k + VAT :scare:

Yikes!

May just stick to 3.5 Rover for £500! It's not enough power though. I'm thinking if I'm going to do it I should do it properly and give it the engine it/I deserve! :drive1

There were turbo kits available for the Rover V8 ;)

To be honest, if you're putting it into a 240, the Rover will be plenty powerful enough if you get a later one - they worked pretty well in the older TVRs. My old SD1 Vitesse was pretty quick enough and that weighed a lot more than a 240 I would imagine. There are plenty of tuning options on them (though not that cheap I must admit), but as you say they are cheap to buy and dead easy to rebuild as well.

The crate LS1 350hp with ECU, loom , anciliries etc comes in at over £6k + VAT :scare:

You'll get an LS3 for that, and it's still an absolute bargain for that sort of power on a lovely new ally block. I have no idea how much a VQ35DE lump from Nissan is brand new, but I bet it's at least the same price.

If budget is that much of an issue then a Rover lump will probably do, but I'd be looking at nothing less than an LS-series motor.