Advice needed please

Boycey

My parents car has had a rough time of it of late

It's a 2005 corsa 1.3 cdti and for the past month has been off road,

They have had a quote for the repair but I think they may be getting screwed over

the garage it's with now claim it needs a new engine, turbo, cam belt and gasket

Recon engine at £880

New turbo at £284

Gasket for £42

Chain belt £150

Plus £600 labour and Vat on tip costing a total £2115 (a small discount was added)

I still feel it's too much and doubt all that work is actually needed, any suggestions, parents are in Corby near Kettering

just been on ebay, admittedly none of these are recon's but not massive prices either

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=cors ... m270.l1313

personally i would recon

Recon engine: 500 gbp

turbo: second hand 100 gbp brand new 200gbp roughly

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsa-1-3-turbo-C ... 4150e0c643

gaskets and time belts, probably about what they quoted, although looking a ttheir prices i bet you could probably get them cheaper.

labour on a rough price of about 30 gbp an hour and say 12 hours work 360 gbp if they are using similiar hourly rates they reckon 20 hours of work.

to be honest i reckon it should be doable for 1500 gbp easily.

I live in Kettering and my wife uses Hi-tec automotive on Telford Way. The owner is a good bloke and definitely won't rip you parents off. It's a Bosch service centre and always busy which says a lot.

If it's possible get it there and give them a try or call them for some advice 01536 411777.

Hope this helps.

Hello David,

Whats wrong with the old engine/turbo? If they are putting a re-conditioned engine in, is it complete or just a short block? If it is a complete re-con engine then the head gasket and timing chain should be done.

Give me a call tomorrow if you want some advice.

Ross.