Yellowstuff pads fitted and tested with oem discs

trackpig

Hi all

I purchased a complete set of Yellowstuff pads for my Nurburgring trip later this month. I fitted the pads and ran them under normal road conditions for around week. The discs were not renewed.

I then had a 120mile run out over some good country roads. The pads felt great- sharp and strong.

I then took the car to a section of road near where I live thats very hard on the brakes and tested them out. The brakes started to smell and fade quite badly. I was fairly pi**ed off. The brakes were incredibly hot.

I left the car to cool down. Once cool, I could see there was a dark band round the center of the face of the disc- this told me the pads were not in full contact with the disc (not bedded in).

I took the opportunity to fit some cooling duct style piping from the underside of the bumper to the back of the discs to direct cool air right into them- every little helps!

I then did a series of braking runs untill I could see the dark colour covered the whole face of the discs. I then allowed the brakes to cool during a 10 min drive and then repeated the run along my brake testing route.

Much better- I was able to activate the abs time and time again. I am not sure how effective the cooling pipes are but they are not causing any harm and cost very little :thumbs:

I suppose the moral of the story is- ensure the brakes are fully bedded in (which can take a fair amount of effort) before coming to any conclusions.

I am very happy with the brakes now and will report back once tested at the ring :thumbs:

How did you 'bed' them in when you first fitted them? Might have been a good idea to have skimmed the discs prior to fitting the pads. I did find my yellowstuff pads a bit abrasive really... glad you got them sorted, I do wonder if you killed of the lifespan of them though...

How did you 'bed' them in when you first fitted them? Might have been a good idea to have skimmed the discs prior to fitting the pads. I did find my yellowstuff pads a bit abrasive really... glad you got them sorted, I do wonder if you killed of the lifespan of them though...

I didnt bed them in as such at first- just used them lightly on the road to try and match the face of disc and pad together.

I have never had discs skimmed when fitting new pads before. I have never needed it done and done want the extra expense.

As for life span- as long as they work at the ring, I am not too bothered. I will again, report back on longevity.

I didnt bed them in as such at first- just used them lightly on the road to try and match the face of disc and pad together.

I have never had discs skimmed when fitting new pads before. I have never needed it done and done want the extra expense.

As for life span- as long as they work at the ring, I am not too bothered. I will again, report back on longevity.

cool, looking forward hearing how you get on!

+1 my thoughts aswell, there is a bedding in procedure you can follow for optimum braking :)

got there in the end though :thumbs:

I will have the Z and the kit car at the N'ring this year so my laps will be spilt between the two cars.

I am looking forward to see what the Z is like round there. Hopefully the kit car will be more reliable this year at will put a good lap in!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am back from the trip which consisted of 2500 miles including two runs up and down Stelvio Pass and 10 laps of the nurburgring.

There is no tuffer test of brakes than going down Stelvio Pass! The setup I have has been faultless. I have not had any brake fade or brake judder at any point.

I put in a 8.46min lap at the ring so was not hanging around.

- Yellowstuff pads all round, ATE super blue fluid, OEM disks and a set of cooling pipes to the front discs get my recommendation :thumbs:

BTW- one of our group now has some pretty bad vibration from his fresh EBC discs and DS3000 pads (no cooling pipes)

zreg.jpg

reg.jpg

I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Nothing special at all, a section of flexible pipe tie wrapped under the front of the bumper and tie wrapped into place on back of hub pointing to the centre of the disc (not rubbing on it though).

A loose fitting tie wrap in the centre of the pipe stops it sagging and rubbing on the road while allowing the pipe to move when full lock is applied.

Well I am back from the trip which consisted of 2500 miles including two runs up and down Stelvio Pass and 10 laps of the nurburgring.

There is no tuffer test of brakes than going down Stelvio Pass! The setup I have has been faultless. I have not had any brake fade or brake judder at any point.

I put in a 8.46min lap at the ring so was not hanging around.

- Yellowstuff pads all round, ATE super blue fluid, OEM disks and a set of cooling pipes to the front discs get my recommendation :thumbs:

BTW- one of our group now has some pretty bad vibration from his fresh EBC discs and DS3000 pads (no cooling pipes)

zreg.jpg

reg.jpg

aye looks like ive cooked my discs, cooling pipes for me for next year!!