Grinding noise in neutral

ricardopatrese1

Hi

My 350Z has started making a grinding/scraping noise whilst in neutral. If i depress the clutch the noise disappears. My dad thinks it may be the thrust bearing, has anyone else had this 'interesting' noise or know for sure what may be causing it and whether i need to get it looked at urgently?

I also sometimes get a loud clanging sound when depressing the clutch in 1st gear. I assume this is part of the cars 'personality' but again, if anyone knows if this is the beggining of a problem then please let me know!

Thanks

Rich

how much is a new clutch release bearing and i assume its a ball ache to fit? anyone had it done?

Ball ache "bearing" :lol::lol: good joke ....... :blush:

anyway looking at the gearbox on my Z today looks like a fairly easy job to remove the gear box .... will let you know when I knock my clutch out 20'000 to go and counting :p

Ste .

Had exactly this a few weeks ago and was worried it was more. If it's a rattle which sounds more like a clanging when you switch the ignition off with the clutch engaged, then it may be the same. The clutch release bearing was apparently destroyed and the clutch extremely worn. This had in turn damaged the dual mass flywheel which was causing the knocking.

From what I've heard though the gearbox has it's fair share of problems so I hope for you it's not that :-)

Thanks for your responses.

Its actually more like a sliding noise as if two metal plates are sliding against each other. Bit tricky to explain a noise in words!

I'm going to take it to a local garage i know. Hopefully they can diagnose it and it isnt to expensive to repair!!

Thanks for your responses.

Its actually more like a sliding noise as if two metal plates are sliding against each other. Bit tricky to explain a noise in words!

I'm going to take it to a local garage i know. Hopefully they can diagnose it and it isnt to expensive to repair!!

Mine does it and 2 others I looked at did it.

When to starts "screaming" then I'll worry about it.....(or replace if I replace the clutch...)

Mine does this also , i was worried about it and nissan kindly rebuilt my gearbox and all new bearings ..... got it back and sound exactly the same! Checked my mates 58 plate one as well and his does it too. Save your money as it sounds to me pretty much all zeds do this :thumbs: