The Budget

Zedrush

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is an old article (1998) - but it basically says that smoking costs the NHS £1.4-£1.7 billion a year, yet the revenue raised from taxing cigarettes is £8.7 billion a year. This was over 10 years ago when cigarettes where half the price they are now. So basically smokers more than pay for there own health care!! I smoke, and I agree its a bad habit and I would love to quit and probably will soon - but this article does floor any arguments you have put forward! ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/backg ... /86599.stm

but you also have to take into account of advertising detailing the health issues of smoking, cleaning the streets with wasted cigarette buts, building locations to shelter outdoor smokers, smoking disposable units all add up on top of the medical costs as well as the health implication to those who are passive smokers and also pollution.

Arguement still stands - still overtaxed IMO!

Corrected ;)

Smoking is a personal choice - the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it should be overtaxed. Also the argument about passive smoking in now invalid as its against the law to smoke indoors in public places.

Smoking is a personal choice - the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it should be overtaxed. Also the argument about passive smoking in now invalid as its against the law to smoke indoors in public places.

A choice I didn't make but yet with the new laws in place I still inhale dirty smoke filled air on a daily basis, whether I’m walking down the street or leaving a pub/shop....... all the ban has done has sent smokers to the doorways which in turn means I’ve got to walk through them to get where I’m going..... I was also raised in household where both parents smoked... passive smoking still occurs, maybe to a lesser degree but to think it’s been eradicated due to the new laws is very naïve.

If the tax was raised to an even higher level, then it would no doubt prompt existing smokers to kick the habit and stop anyone from ever starting in the first place.... and that can only be a good thing.

Anyone who starts smoking in today's modern age in nothing short of stupid imo.......

you are worried about inhaling an occasional wiff of tobacco as you are walking down the street? so you think tax should be raised to make everyone give up - on that basis the same street you are walking down has far more dangerous car fumes which you are inhaling - so should the government make petrol £10 per litre to make people give up driving??

you are worried about inhaling an occasional wiff of tobacco as you are walking down the street? so you think tax should be raised to make everyone give up - on that basis the same street you are walking down has far more dangerous car fumes which you are inhaling - so should the government make petrol £10 per litre to make people give up driving??

I'm not trying to be self-righteous about cigarette smoke invading my life, when my driving habits are clearly much more polluting and dangerous than anyone's smoking habit will ever be.

But the burning of fossil fuels is something that in the present we can't live without, the world depends on the burning of fossil fuels, it doesn’t however rely on the smoking of tobacco....

Anyway, the budget talk has digressed into a smoker tax war....... :lol:

I'm not trying to be self-righteous about cigarette smoke invading my life, when my driving habits are clearly much more polluting and dangerous than anyone's smoking habit will ever be.

But the burning of fossil fuels is something that in the present we can't live without, the world depends on the burning of fossil fuels, it doesn’t however rely on the smoking of tobacco....

Anyway, the budget talk has digressed into a smoker tax war....... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Was a fun debate though :lol::lol::lol:

actually they did an experiment that a 2 litre diesel engine produces less harmful pollution than 3 cigarettes being smoked, check out Dr Giovanni Invernizzi research on google
What about a de-cat'd 3.5L V6 :blush::lol:

:lol::thumbs:

Lets all group hug SunGodRA and help him quit smoking :)

:lol::lol::lol: I will soon, I have been meaning to for a long time etc - but just researching this topic this morning I have come across some horrible stats about smoking - it might be the incentive I needed! :scare:

:lol::lol::lol: I will soon, I have been meaning to for a long time etc - but just researching this topic this morning I have come across some horrible stats about smoking - it might be the incentive I needed! :scare:

There's plenty of help out there........ your ciggie tax in part will fund the NHS to help you quit :lol::thumbs:

actually they did an experiment that a 2 litre diesel engine produces less harmful pollution than 3 cigarettes being smoked, check out Dr Giovanni Invernizzi research on google
What about a de-cat'd 3.5L V6 :blush::lol:

:lol::thumbs:

PMSL :lol::headhurt:

:console: > sungodra

The thing that makes me laugh about the new Budget is that all public sector workers are on a pay freeze. But with myself being in the army i could have a young junior soldier around the age of 18 getting paid less than 20k for serving on the front line in afgan. While you can have a couple who cant get of there fat ass and get a job and all they do is produce kids who in turn will produce more kids, get paid more that the soldier.

The government needs to cut benefits for kids altogether if you cant afford to have them then dont and im sure i may upet a few people by saying it, but then you would not have 16 year old slags having kids trying to look cool, when they suddenly realise they cant afford it and dont get money off the government for them.

The thing that makes me laugh about the new Budget is that all public sector workers are on a pay freeze. But with myself being in the army i could have a young junior soldier around the age of 18 getting paid less than 20k for serving on the front line in afgan. While you can have a couple who cant get of there fat ass and get a job and all they do is produce kids who in turn will produce more kids, get paid more that the soldier.

The government needs to cut benefits for kids altogether if you cant afford to have them then dont and im sure i may upet a few people by saying it, but then you would not have 16 year old slags having kids trying to look cool, when they suddenly realise they cant afford it and dont get money off the government for them.

They are cutting quite a bit on those that dont work and those who's kids are in school will be cut benefits. Its hard though cos the chavs make up a huge population who also vote

I've a friend/acquaintance who literally lives off his 3 kids....... and he does well by it too... makes me so :rant:

Be interesting to see what happens to his cushty life when they reach 'flying the nest’ age

I am the same i have a cousin who has 3 kids and she is better off than me. Doesnt work in fact doesnt do alot however house is paid etc and she has even managed to get a mobility car off the government which has to be changed every 2 years by government laws and needs to be big enough for her and 3 kids prams etc last time we spoke she had a s-max what an absolute joke.