Motorway bend - bit annoyed

Demolition49

Spoke to a guy today who said all you guys are talking @*!# and are extremeists talking about the nth degree... apparently the car should be fine?

What can i say to this?

We have enough folk on here who have had the same problem, followed the advice and then had no problems to know it works. We're not physicists talking about theory here.

surely if i switch to falkens they wont enable me to go 120 around the corner?!

I'm hoping that's a rhetorical question...

My point is that even if the rubber is different i shouldnt of had problems at 60.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to a guy today who said all you guys are talking @*!# and are extremeists talking about the nth degree... apparently the car should be fine?

What can i say to this?

We have enough folk on here who have had the same problem, followed the advice and then had no problems to know it works. We're not physicists talking about theory here.

surely if i switch to falkens they wont enable me to go 120 around the corner?!

I'm hoping that's a rhetorical question...

My point is that even if the rubber is different i shouldnt of had problems at 60.

My point is that it is. What else do you think it is if everyone here is wrong?

Hi Colin, yes I had exactly the same set up as the OP. The front was glued to the road but the rear was extremely unpredictable. There was no progression at all, just a sudden and total loss of grip under no acceleration.

The 350z was my first RWD car and I had read about the ‘lively rear’ so I initially put this down to my lack of my experience / the new car. Incidents such as the above made it apparent that new tyres were needed.

Go a for a new set of new boots mate. A few hundred quid now is far better than ending up in an armco or a ditch.

Matt.

There's your answer ;)

Believe me I'm not trying to spend your money for nothing - just your own safety and so you can enjoy the full potential of your ZED, which as things stand you can't. If you are having doubts about the car's set up and think its not the tyres then get a 4-wheel laser check done to see if anything obvious is wrong with the alignment etc.

I can only add my opinion to this thread, based on my own experience, and I feel its very relevant to your problem.

I bought my Zed last November and I had the exact same problem... the dealer put brand new tyres on the rear when they serviced the car. Obviously when I collected the car I thought this was a good thing, two new tyres thrown in the deal! Too good to be true? Well, yes, as it turns out.

I went through the winter wondering whether I'd done the right thing buying the Zed. Surely this car should out-handle the Celica it replaced? But I had to be soooo careful through corners if there was any hint of wet (remember this was November/December) and even accelerating. For example, there's a junction I pull out of every morning coming to work and on both the 2nd to 3rd change AND the 3rd to 4th change I had to be careful... too snatchy on the clutch and hard on the throttle and the back end would twitch and the traction control cut in. To be honest, if it weren't for the traction control, I reckon I'd have been in a ditch over the winter.

I got the money together and decided to gamble... a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas all round. £640 fitted.

Even before the tyres were scrubbed it was like I was driving a different car. A thousand miles later and I have SOOOO much more confidence in the car and am getting a LOT more enjoyment from it. The Zed feels so much better balanced and composed. It turns in sharper and I get better feedback. I'm back to grinning as I zip through corners.

The difference for me was quite pronounced. I had Bridgestone 040 up front and some cheap brand on the back, so pretty dire. No doubt on some combinations you can get away with mixing tyres front-to-back.... BUT... the point is I don't know why having all the tyres match makes a difference... I might be able to offer some ideas about mixed compounds and tread patterns and what the electronic bits are getting told, but ultimately I don't KNOW. And I think there are very few people on this forum, if any, that can really claim to know 100% of the science behind the grip that keeps us on the road... and THAT is the reason I think we shouldn't mix tyre types across the axles... it is the ONLY way you can be SURE that you're setting the car up as well as possible, and in the way the car was designed to be driven. It takes a lot of arrogance to claim otherwise!

Whatever your experiences to date, I hope you'll consider that view.

Do you want to drive your car fast through a corner thinking its "probably alright" mixing tyres across the axles, or do you want to know you've given yourself the absolute best chance of maintaining grip?

Frankly, I'd rather trust the engineers and designers of the car than myself.

If none of that convinces you... I'm pretty sure that one factor the car uses to judge whether the traction control should cut in is the difference in speed between the front and rear axles. Logical really, isn't it...?

Whatever you decide to do mate, I hope you get the car sorted out and can get on with enjoying it :thumbs:

What can i say to this?

And how can a little bit of rubber mean the car goes wobbly around a motorway bend at 60 that is a bit odd... surely if i switch to falkens they wont enable me to go 120 around the corner?!

Tell them, they buy and fit a new set for you. If they dont fix it, then you will pay them for the tyres out of good will for giving it a bash.

Bet you it makes it handle correctly. Look, as Digsy says, we arent scientists, but we do know what works. We've been round long enough to see people with this problem and every one (yes EVERY SINGLE ONE) who changed the tyres reported it completely changed the car. ;)

according to this:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Nissan/350z.htm

falkens are better

Lots of folk on here happy with the Falkens - ignore him! ;)

I dont know why people bang on about more power and buy bigger brakes and run falkens. My dads s class has them on but i wouldnt put that on a sports car IMO of course.

Nobody was banging on about bigger brakes and more power or falkens really, just pointing out from the reviews and charts falkens come up better than the avons.

As some know I have a thing about wheels mate. My first set were the originals with Bridgestone 040s. They worked fine. I wont start the argument again. :lol:

Second wheels had pilot sports on. I have also had Falkens and Dunlop sports max. All have been fine. Many other brands are also fine.

Give the car a hand and let it start with balance on all corners and unless you have other issues you will see a marked difference.

You wouldnt run a marathon in different trainers would you. :)

Give the car a hand and let it start with balance on all corners and unless you have other issues you will see a marked difference.

I agree, there will be as many opinions on here about which tyre you should get as there are types of tyre ;)

Glad to hear you've got your new rubber ordered anyway, I'm sure once you have matching rubber all round and they have a few miles on them you'll be pleased with your decision and will be able to fully enjoy your Zed :)