corroded metal engine cover

kevlo

Hi guys and girls, please could someone tell me if i need to worry about the above. Below is a picture of someone elses engine bay but it points out two things i have noticed about the engine in the car i have just put a deposit on.

The metal is very dull, patchy and feels very dry almost chalky. Plus one of the nuts is very rusty.

Does this show neglect or is it a common issue? is there anything i can do to prevent it from going any further and try to restore it back to as good as new?

post-6147-135011882904_thumb.jpg

any help much appreciated

thanks

k

its a cast piece in the first place so they never looked pristine to start with.

over time you will get a build up of aluminium oxide that will be the white chalky residue. its not as aggressive as iron oxide and only affects the surface.

polishing will remove the casting marks and the texture due to sand casting. will then only need a top up of autosol to maintain it every so often.

if your going to polish don't use wire brushes as there is a slight risk of iron contamination into the aluminium and that is more aggressive and could lead to fatigue of the metal.

personally if your going that way speak to nrez, he's doing polished plenums on an exchange basis for about 125-150 quid i think. and they are done by professionals and to a high standard from what i've seen.