Your opinions please - rad fans not working

as2bsc

Hi Guys,

I'd like to have your opinions on the following:

I was sat in traffic yesterday and noticed that my temp gauge was higher than normal so I pulled over to check the coolant level, which was fine. I then set off again and the temp came came back down to normal once I was moving again. I then got stuck in more traffic and the temp started to rise again and once again returned to normal when I got going. When I got home I ran the car for a little while to see if the fans where kicking in and neither of which did.

I then took my car in to Lockwood & Greenwood in Manchester on my way to work this morning to have it checked out. To cut a long story short L&G checked the the coolant system, checked the fan wiring circuit and fuses and didn't find any problems. They have said that the fan motors aren't working but will turn over manually but not when powered and that I would need a new fan pack at circa 900 quid :headhurt:

What do you guys think? Has anyone had to replace this before? It's not that I don't trust L&G as I've had good experiences with them before but would just like a 2nd opinion. Does anybody else think it's a bit strange that both motors have gone?

I've been to see my mechanic mate on the way home tonight who's said we can sort it together maybe with motors from a scrappy but he's off to France for a fortnight now so I'll have to run around in the missus fiesta for the time being.

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

Motor failure, fuse failure, relay failure, bad connections on looms etc. are all possibilities.

If you let me have your email addy I will send you over a schematics of the system and the process for checking the motors in situ.

Remember the motors are twin speed and have 2 earths and 2 feeds to each motor.

Alex.

I had this problem with a previous car. The fans were thermostatically controlled. By shorting the wires attached to the thermostate the fans will operate if it is a problem with the thermostate.

No idea if this is the case with the Zed (I bow to Alex's knowledge :thumbs: ) but thought it worth mentioning

Cheers

Dave

Simple check bud, disconnect the wires from the thermostats and link the out with a small bit of wire, if the fans start then its the stat. Had the same thing on an Astra and it turned out to be just that. :thumbs:

sorry repeated :p

No stats. guys, just fuses, relays, IPDM etc.

But you can take a direct feed/earth to the fan motors to check if they are working but you require 2 earths and 2 feeds to each motor to check the twin speed function. :thumbs:

Alex.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I managed to sort the overheating problem on my Zed. It was the fan motors as initially thought. I managed to source some used motors from Douglas Valley breakers in Lancashire and fitted them this morning. They seem to have done the trick.

I would like say thanks to Zmanalex for his support and advice with the problem, he was a great help :thumbs:

Can't wait to take it for a spin now :D