Cats - manifold - Y pipe ?

alessandro

What's best? Sport Cats ( dont want de-cats )

Manifold ( not even sure why and what the benefits, but seen that it's a pain to fit and labour £££ )

Y -Pipe?

I have a Scorpion exhaust which I like and want to keep, I'm looking for something that will give better flow and better sound at high and low revs. Not keen on decats as I dont want to take them off and back on for M.O.T.

Had a look at couple of web site for ideas and price which seems to swing a lot e.g. Y-pipe from japspeed around £200 other sites £400, guess it's down to quality and name.

Talking to Mr Lizard today he mention that he found a Y-Pipe is more effective but while looking into it I came accross manifold which some are be claimed to give you 30bhp, are those really worth? (seems a lot ).

The car is not a daily driver anymore and next summer I'm hoping to get some lessons and than do some track days but nothing serious.

Whats your tought? Where ? Why ? How much ?

This will go with JWT (for now) plenum and scorpion exhaust.

Thanks

Depends on what you want and what you will use it for. Hopefully soon I will have some dc manifolds on too making my system dc mani's- japspeed y - hi flow cats - japspeed k2. You would probably make more power with a k1 or a buddy club though although they are alot louder.

As far a manifolds go I doubt you would see even 10bhp with a remap, but I bet they sound awesome.

manifold is a fair amount more work than the Y pipe buddy, was good to meet you yesterday, as i said, the parts, can, all compliment each other, so have an idea of what you want as a whole and then buy it in bits if thats what suits you :thumbs:

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Gain in power would be a bonus but it is mainly for sound/style, Y-pipe seems the way to go

Speak to Mark at Abbey. The Motodyne Y pipe is very good and not silly money either. Sports cats together with the Y pipe + remap will give you good gains without spending a fortune.

Unless you are going racing the manifolds will be a waste of money, also they can crack and become unreliable. One golden rule with regard to power gain figures quoted: ignore them as most are just bullshit. Speak to a proper experienced tuner who knows the 350Z well and can tell you what bits work and what doesn't.

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Gain in power would be a bonus but it is mainly for sound/style, Y-pipe seems the way to go

Speak to Mark at Abbey. The Motodyne Y pipe is very good and not silly money either. Sports cats together with the Y pipe + remap will give you good gains without spending a fortune.

Unless you are going racing the manifolds will be a waste of money, also they can crack and become unreliable. One golden rule with regard to power gain figures quoted: ignore them as most are just bullshit. Speak to a proper experienced tuner who knows the 350Z well and can tell you what bits work and what doesn't.

Manifolds will only crack & become unreliable if you buy cheap knock offs, lets not make generalisations here ;) Manifolds will make extra power - I know this because my car made more with them :)

I would leave stock headers,Tubular headers are only worth around 2/3 BHP we have found but we are working on some new tubular headers that should make more top end BHP but wont be cheap. But tubular headers need supoorting properly otherwise they do crack , we have seen a few.

Fit de-cat pipes and a Motordyne XYZ fitted with a Race cats and your Scorpion system with a remap these will work very well together.

Mark

Not sure about any power gains from the y pipe as I only have the seat pants dyno to go on but can say for sure the y will unleash the v6 sound .

Try the Motodyne XYZ and you will be pleasantly surprised. It makes the car much more responsive and easier to drive fast.

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/index.php?cPath=2_9&osCsid=ba5d9e50cf143a2910f16a3740059a96

My setup is very similar to what you're after ...

Scorpion Exhaust

Envy Y pipe

Ichiba Decats

Stock airbox and Plenum Spacer and mine was up around the 270bhp mark with the Abbey Remap treatment.

I know where Y pipes and Decats are being sold 2nd Hand if you require it. I think the best thing to do is think about what you want to achieve longer term.

My setup is very similar to what you're after ...

Scorpion Exhaust

Envy Y pipe

Ichiba Decats

Stock airbox and Plenum Spacer and mine was up around the 270bhp mark with the Abbey Remap treatment.

I know where Y pipes and Decats are being sold 2nd Hand if you require it. I think the best thing to do is think about what you want to achieve longer term.

If you talking about the Envy Y-Pipe I'm already on it with a second bid ;) .

Did you get my last PM? When I come down I'll have to take a look at your set up :thumbs: