Spongey brakes

Zugara

Quick question chaps/ettes.

I happend to drive my wifes beetle yesterday :blush: and i found her brakes were hell of a lot better than my brembos on me zed.

I have standard pads with plenty of meat left on them and the disks are quite unworn. Only done 15k. So my question is are the brakes like this usually, Spongey?

Or do i need to change something to improve the sharpness of them?

Better in what way? I bet they were a lot sharper, but you had less feel and almost certainly far easier to fade (not that you'd actually be able to try that!). Non-performance cars will often have (designed) sharper brakes so you think they're better, but really you'll actually be better off with more progressive brakes.

That said, always a good idea to change your brake fluid once a year and pop some braided brakelines on there as well.

When did you last change the fluid bud? Supposed to be every 2 years and will make a hell of a difference.

Dont think i can answer that question, only had her for 2 months although it has FNSH! if that counts for anything :lol:

No doubt there is a special brake fluid i will need to use?

Better in what way? I bet they were a lot sharper, but you had less feel and almost certainly far easier to fade (not that you'd actually be able to try that!). Non-performance cars will often have (designed) sharper brakes so you think they're better, but really you'll actually be better off with more progressive brakes.

That said, always a good idea to change your brake fluid once a year and pop some braided brakelines on there as well.

They just felt very responsive with little pressure applied on the pedal. You know what its like, you hit the pedal and get fired through the windscreen type effect.

Yup, that'll be why. Don't worry, I can assure you the Zed has better brakes, it's all down to the different feel. Do change the fluid and lines though. :)

Any brake fluid? Or something special. Am i correct in saying that you can mix fluids?

ive been abit worried by my brakes recently as my mate has a zed and drove my car the other day and he couldn't believe how spongey mine were compared to his!!! both 55 plates with brembo pads and all that. perhaps i need to change my fluid then :shrug:

Any brake fluid? Or something special. Am i correct in saying that you can mix fluids?

You really shouldn't mix brake fluids at all, especially when changing brands. I personally use the Endless fluid, which although expensive is by far the best stuff I've ever used (they use identical stuff in some of the F1 cars, that's how good it is!), however for general road use and assuming you don't track it too hard then the Motul RBF600 is what I'd use.