Questions from a potential Z owner

KS2006

Hi All,

I have been working on a shortlist of cars for a while and a Z comes close to ticking all the boxes. (350z,S2000,TT 3.2 etc).

My daily drive is a 3 mile each way town commute. Lots of stop start driving. But I want a car that can do this and then of an evening and the weekends let me go out for a good blast and give mile a big smile on my face. Whilst I have access a 2nd car I don't really want to spend 20k+ on a car that sits there a good %age of the week idle.

I have spotted one at a nearby dealer - 24k miles, 54 reg gt pack with nav. £20k.

So I have a number of questions :

Clutch - I've read a number of 'issues' with the clutch regarding failures etc. Is it pot luck on this? Is the clutch really heavy? Is my tiny commute (assuming I drive correctly :p going to cause me an issue). I don't really want to drop £20k+ on a car and then need £1k clutch change.

Are speed bumps a major issue? Loads where I live :(

What should I explcitily look for/check when having a test drive/inspection.

What sort of servicing costs / time intervals are required (are there any big services e.g 40k etc)?

Apart from the recent 06 engine changes was there anything important changed between 54 and 06 (I keep seeing different air bag specs on some of the nissan approved cars?).

Anyone had any experience of Nissan dealers in the Coventry area or know of any good non Nissan dealers to get servicing/work done?

Apologies for any obvious questions I should have already found answers to.

Cheers

Hi All,

I have been working on a shortlist of cars for a while and a Z comes close to ticking all the boxes. (350z,S2000,TT 3.2 etc).

My daily drive is a 3 mile each way town commute. Lots of stop start driving. But I want a car that can do this and then of an evening and the weekends let me go out for a good blast and give mile a big smile on my face.

3 mile? And you take a car? :headhurt:

I would say, get a bike or a moped. You ll be faster than with the car, and with the bike your physical condition will improve and this will help for my next proposition:

Dont get a Z, get a weekend fun car like an Elise or Exige B)

You reply was one I had already considered.

I did the old bike to work thing years ago (16m round trip) and tbh I'd much rather sit in the warm or cool of my car with the stereo up knowing that my laptop etc is safe in the boot rather than risking a pushbike on the roads and ending up a sweaty mess at work or a sticky mess on the road :p

Whilst Elise/Exige are no doubt fun cars I wanted something a little bit more practical than either of them.

You'll have no worries with a Zed :)

Obviously you'll be getting fairly low MPG, but the short distance will offset that.

In terms of the clutch, mine is fine, and so are many others. Don't forget that most people won't post "car working fine - no issues at all :D " Forums are great tools, but it's easier to get paranoid :) Ok, some have let go early on, but I'd say teh majority will be fine... (touches wood!)

The car is very good in the city, I came from the Scooby, and compared to that the Zed is very drivable in towns and at low speeds. The steering is a little heavy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Speed bumps: no issue with standard car - not sure about the kits :dry:

As for the test drive/inspection - wow, where do you start when spending £20k :D

As you've said it's from the dealer I'm going to guess it's a UK car, and hence has warranty, so that should give you massive piece of mind.

So I would concentrate on other stuff. Make sure that the instant consumables are good, tyres for example. The last thing you want to do after shelling out 20g's is to drive straight into Kwik Fit and re-shod the car...

Take a look at the 'known issues' bit if you want. But to be honest they're relatively minor, and covered by warranty.

As far as I'm aware the differences between 06 and the rest are minimal. Besides the engine being slightly different (same as GT4 IIRC) the rear/front lights are LED/Bi Xenon types, and there are some minor amendments to the interior. I would say that only a Zedder or complete petrolhead would notice the differences...

Go buy one, you won't regret it :teeth:B)

Hi All,

The zed is miles better than all those cars :teeth:

My daily drive is a 3 mile each way town commute. Lots of stop start driving. But I want a car that can do this and then of an evening and the weekends let me go out for a good blast and give mile a big smile on my face. Whilst I have access a 2nd car I don't really want to spend 20k+ on a car that sits there a good %age of the week idle.

The zed is very comfortable around town and then can bring a massive grin to your face when you open up that V6. The zed is my dailly driver and I love it :thumbs:

I have spotted one at a nearby dealer - 24k miles, 54 reg gt pack with nav. £20k.

Sounds about right if a little pricey, plenty of bargains to be had :yahoo:

So I have a number of questions :

Clutch - I've read a number of 'issues' with the clutch regarding failures etc. Is it pot luck on this? Is the clutch really heavy? Is my tiny commute (assuming I drive correctly :p going to cause me an issue). I don't really want to drop £20k+ on a car and then need £1k clutch change.

People have had premature clutch failures but I think this is pretty random. I have had two zeds and driven over 20k in both with no problem on either :)

Are speed bumps a major issue? Loads where I live :(

Nope unless you go for a real low aftermarket body kit ;)

What should I explcitily look for/check when having a test drive/inspection.

Stone chips to the front, skipping cd player clicking from rear axles, uneven tyre wear :scare:

What sort of servicing costs / time intervals are required (are there any big services e.g 40k etc)?

Every 9k. Less than £200 for a P1, just over £200 for a P2 and about £250 for a P3 all of which depends on where you live. Service schedule is P1,P2,P1,P3 etc

Apart from the recent 06 engine changes was there anything important changed between 54 and 06 (I keep seeing different air bag specs on some of the nissan approved cars?).

Extra 20 bhp and a few subtle interior (dials) and exterior (lights). Great if you were in the market for a new car anyway but not worth the extra £9k otherwise :scare:

Anyone had any experience of Nissan dealers in the Coventry area or know of any good non Nissan dealers to get servicing/work done?

Not had any experience of the coventry one but the Colliers one on the Warwick Road inBrum is pretty good :thumbs:

Apologies for any obvious questions I should have already found answers to.

Cheers

Hope all that helps a little :teeth::thumbs:

:welcome:

If your journey is very stop and start and a bike is out of the question you could always consider a JDM tiptronic model.

Servicing is very reasonable compared to the other cars in you list.

Only main difference on a 06 is the engine has 20bhp more. Rest is cosmetic.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm gonna go have a test drive this weekend I think and see how good it really is :)

Yes the car is from a dealer (not a Nissan one) but its has full service history and being has warranty till 12/07 (I assume the 3 year warranty is UK wide and not year 2/3 dealer?).

In the mean time I keep trying to convince my folks that its bronze not tango orange ;)

I'm gonna go have a test drive this weekend I think and see how good it really is :)

Yes the car is from a dealer (not a Nissan one) but its has full service history and being has warranty till 12/07 (I assume the 3 year warranty is UK wide and not year 2/3 dealer?).

In the mean time I keep trying to convince my folks that its bronze not tango orange ;)

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH don't buy a Baby Poo orange one :thumbdown::p

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH don't buy a Baby Poo orange one :thumbdown::p

Says the man in the Yellow car! :D

:welcome: And good luck with the hunt for your next car! :)