Intermittant Overheating - advice?

phatbloke74

Hi all,

Had my zed for a year now and I'm having some problems with it overheating. It's only done it on 2 or 3 occasions over the year but it's not happened under the same circumstances. :thumbdown:

When it has happened I've been on the motorway and I haven't been able to check if the fans have been working and I haven't been able to hear them.

On the most recent of occasions, I'll be stuck in traffic for about 15-20 mins and the temp will start to creep. No matter what I do it will keep on going up until I can get moving again but as soon as I can get some momentum the temp gauge will drop very rapidly back down to normal.

I've had a service recently but the cooling system wasn't drained and refilled.

I've had a search on here and the tips I've taken onboard would be to change out the relays and thermostat and drain out the coolant in case it's got a blockage - any other advice?

I was also advised at the service (Nissan Slough) that my clutch felt very heavy compared to others and they thought it was on it's way out - a slipping flywheel wouldn't cause it to overheat would it?

Any advice would be great, :thumbs:

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the fans yesterday and they are both working.

Started the car from cold with the aircon off and let the car heat up.

After about 30 mins, both fans kicked in at the same time and then stopped together. I think someone said that they should work independantly of each other?

Something I did notice was as the car was heating up the coolant level increased in the bottle. It went from a third to full - could this point to air pockets in the coolant system?

Any advice would be greatly received.