Censorship

Baptist

Does locking of threads by mods, whenever they are losing ground on a discussion/debate constitute censorship??? I would say so.

Hardly fair in my opinion.

Also, mods editing posts after they have locked it, doesnt really give a fair picture to other users reading the locked thread.

Seems abit rich, after all the constant promotion on this site about freedom of speech, and how 'other' boards dont allow such rights.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does locking of threads by mods, whenever they are losing ground on a discussion/debate constitute censorship??? I would say so.

Hardly fair in my opinion.

Also, mods editing posts after they have locked it, doesnt really give a fair picture to other users reading the locked thread.

Seems abit rich, after all the constant promotion on this site about freedom of speech, and how 'other' boards dont allow such rights.

Jon, not sure completely what this is in reference to but if it has happened then I would say that its probably a one off and the use of plural above implies its a regular thing...... which is isn't.

I've only ever locked threads when the original topic has come to a close and to preserve its use without it becoming another home for random conversation. But even then its a rare occurence

What i'm trying to say is that this isn't the norm.......

if you create a thread, you have the right to ask for its deletion or having it locked down if people like you are trying to steer it way offtopic or stir up arguments.

I have done so instead of asking another mod to do since I can do it myself. And yeah, it was my own thread and it had veered well away fromt the topic. if you want to argue online, go somewhere else.

You calling me a c*nt then taking it personally because I responded, then calling me childish over and over again strengthens my position.

I shall repeat: if you like to argue over the internet, this is not the place to do it.

Funny but, you were quite happy to argue until you realised you made an arse of yourself.

*EDIT*

I'll just edit this post instead of making new ones, as that seems to be the thing to do.

You cant have it both ways mate, on one hand you like to carry on like a child and say what you like in posts, then when it doesnt go your way, you give it the big 'I am' and start throwing rules around.

nope, until I realised that people like you when you are in "argument" mode don't deserve my time, nor the webspace of this place.

Let's see how long it take for you to call me childish or some other names again on this thread, and let's see how long it lasts...

I dont need to call you childish anymore, people can see that for themselves.

How come my posts show when they are edited, and mods posts dont, strange that.

I've noticed this myself people... don't think this is fair :thumbdown: Can't be one rule for us and one rule for you :dry:

that's a fair comment Bap, surely Chris could tweak that, I have no problems with that.

On the thread you are moaning about, the only thing I edited was on the last post I made comment saying to you to go back to work.

I haven't deleted anything you posted, you can demonstrate how mature you are by yourself.

still you are clutching at straws already...

yes, so that they don't have to read drivel derived by people like you wanting to argue over the internet.

when you'll want to talk about cars (which I understand is what you are mostly about when you are in a good mood) then there won't be any need to lock threads.

I am sorry i have no time to argue over the internet with you baptist.

first you say:

then you say

Im not saying you deleted anything, censorship takes more than one form, as you have demonstrated.

it'd be helpful if your ideas were a bit clearer.

ok now I maybe understand what you are after:

you are right, I am sorry if any of my posts have irritated you or annoyed you. It wasn't my intention and apologise profusely.

I locked the thread since the originator of the thread asked to do so, and because it seemed to me that you just wanted to go offtopic for the sake of it and just argue.

I am really sorry I offended your feelings in locking the thread.

Guys..... (long post again - sorry :blush:)

I have to say from where I stand it was six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Knowing next nothing about your mods to the car Baptist, I can't really see where the thread went from general banter to verging on mickey taking out of each other.

I can however see where personal insults started flying though, and from my point of view the thread should have been locked at that point, or at least both parties should have taken a step back to sort it out - we do have PM functions if people feel the need to have personal arguments via the board.

If a discussion or debate is locked simply because a moderator is losing ground, then yes that would constitute censorship, and it should not happen.

Though I doubt many could class that particular topic as a "discussion or debate". It turned very quickly into nothing but a slanging match.

We do pride ourselves here on allowing free speech and letting posts stand. There have been a small number of posts deleted here, the majority from the testing area, and a minority from one or two threads that went so far off topic, the original question or theme was lost entirely, causing members to have to repost or start their thread all over again.

We have taken measures to try and prevent this, and so far it seems to be working. Therefor the need for any other post deletion should only be for legal reasons or if we receive specific complaints from members regarding certain postings.

On a slightly different note, I thought the site did note when mods/admins edited their own posts - Ill look into that, as you are correct Liam, it should act in the same way for everyone. :thumbs:

Is it possible that this particular argument can be concluded via PM if necessary?

No problem in discussing censorship or ways in which people think we can deal with personal arguments on the site in future, not necesarily involving mods, but in general.

The moderators and admins for the site dont carry any "rank" on the site - they simply have the job of trying to keep things in order.

I think its fair to say that none of the current crew have ever done it before either - so we are all bound to make mistakes from time to time, if people want to suggest different methods of approaching various issues, then please speak up. I for one would be interested in learning others views, as I seem to make a hash of it every now and then. :blush:

Guys..... (long post again - sorry :blush:)

I have to say from where I stand it was six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Knowing next nothing about your mods to the car Baptist, I can't really see where the thread went from general banter to verging on mickey taking out of each other.

I can however see where personal insults started flying though, and from my point of view the thread should have been locked at that point, or at least both parties should have taken a step back to sort it out - we do have PM functions if people feel the need to have personal arguments via the board.

If a discussion or debate is locked simply because a moderator is losing ground, then yes that would constitute censorship, and it should not happen.

Though I doubt many could class that particular topic as a "discussion or debate". It turned very quickly into nothing but a slanging match.

We do pride ourselves here on allowing free speech and letting posts stand. There have been a small number of posts deleted here, the majority from the testing area, and a minority from one or two threads that went so far off topic, the original question or theme was lost entirely, causing members to have to repost or start their thread all over again.

We have taken measures to try and prevent this, and so far it seems to be working. Therefor the need for any other post deletion should only be for legal reasons or if we receive specific complaints from members regarding certain postings.

On a slightly different note, I thought the site did note when mods/admins edited their own posts - Ill look into that, as you are correct Liam, it should act in the same way for everyone. :thumbs:

Is it possible that this particular argument can be concluded via PM if necessary?

No problem in discussing censorship or ways in which people think we can deal with personal arguments on the site in future, not necesarily involving mods, but in general.

The moderators and admins for the site dont carry any "rank" on the site - they simply have the job of trying to keep things in order.

I think its fair to say that none of the current crew have ever done it before either - so we are all bound to make mistakes from time to time, if people want to suggest different methods of approaching various issues, then please speak up. I for one would be interested in learning others views, as I seem to make a hash of it every now and then. :blush:

Were you Butros-Butros Gali in former life, Chris? Masterful diplomacy as always. :thumbs:

I agree I should have locked the thread when the "clever c*nt" comment was made. Although you might appreciate that when someone insults you, whether in real life or on the internet, it's quite hard not to respond. I then later on realised that I was just wasting my time and baptist as he admits on his first post here saw the thread as a sort of race, where in his opinion I was "losing ground on a discussion/debate" and not a thread about engine bay colour coding...

I didn't see it like that, but I'm happy to concede him "victory" in any way he likes. I know he likes to have the last word on the internet.

Thats the spirit! :lol:

Anyway, I do appreciate that when arguments start, its always hard not to respond.

I have most certainly been guilty of that. And I should have known better too, but as you say its very difficult not to respond when personal arguments start. We are all only human after all.

Perhaps if another moderator had been around at the time it wouldnt have got that far, as one of us could have stoped the thread before either side said things they probably now regret?

Maybe its a sign that we are understaffed?

"moderator of highly active forum required, no perks available, no money paid, long hours required"

Do you think the jobcentre would be interested?

Thats the spirit! :lol:

Anyway, I do appreciate that when arguments start, its always hard not to respond.

I have most certainly been guilty of that. And I should have known better too, but as you say its very difficult not to respond when personal arguments start. We are all only human after all.

Perhaps if another moderator had been around at the time it wouldnt have got that far, as one of us could have stoped the thread before either side said things they probably now regret?

Maybe its a sign that we are understaffed?

"moderator of highly active forum required, no perks available, no money paid, long hours required"

Do you think the jobcentre would be interested?

Probably just a time when the rest of us are hard at work. Have we got any members on the dole....... ;)

My guess is mod's where around at the time with the exception of Jacko as he probably would of intervened!!! I take the p*ss out of SAJ but it seems he is one of few who has the bollocks to step in while others sit back when things get out of hand...

Btw Digsy don'y you claim benefits whilst working :blush::p

My guess is mod's where around at the time with the exception of Jacko as he probably would of intervened!!! I take the p*ss out of SAJ but it seems he is one of few who has the bollocks to step in while others sit back when things get out of hand...

Btw Digsy don'y you claim benefits whilst working :blush::p

Doesn't everyone....... ;)

SAJ???????