New HU - Need clarification

MattMe

Ayup peeps.

Been thinking about getting my 'Bose' unit repaired for a while now but have just considered what I could swap it for at a similar cost...

I quite like the look of the Pioneer FH-P80BT:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer ... 48edk3cr45

Mainly because it looks kind of stock (can adjust the colours), has a rear aux input for MP3 player and it cheap! Plus it can be intergrated into the steering remote control and has BT handsfree... These are the things I eed clarification on.

I read through thte sticky at the top of this forum and kind of sort of understood a bit of it (one of things that make more sense when you've got the wires in front of you?) and just wanted to confirm what parts I'd need to retain the steering remote function and how/if I could integraet into the existing handsfree mic?

Also, with a ne HU do we still use the standard amp, or would you just use the one built-in to the new HU?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later... And I think I'd miss the 6 disc changer - that's a nice feature...

:blush:

That is the same unit I have been considering getting. I got quoted from a local car audio dealers around £510 fitted with them supplying all the cables and surround and the fitting.

And given I can buy the unit for £244 I have been wondering what exact cables I would need and is the cost above worth it for no hassle.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm changing mine for the exact same reasons, and am getting one of these fitted on Monday:

http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2 ... 33824.html

Cost, around £400 for all parts and fitted by a locla company. I'll let you know what I think once it's done. :thumbs:

I looked at those too.

So any advice on my other questions anyone??

I might go for one of these (Clarion CX609E) too, as it does everything I need plus I have the integrated Sat Nav. Also another plus point is the display can be configured to the same "orange" colour as the factory head unit, where as the Pioneer just comes with the blue display and this can't be changed.

I don't know what to do!

There aren't many double din head units around the £200 mark, and none of them have a CD changer.

I'm starting to think I may just get my Bose unit repaired and the tape deck hack so I can have 6 disc changer, and MP3 input. Plus I can keep the standard hands-free mic rather than an extra one hanging around somewhere.

By the time I've bought the new HU (Clarion, or otherwise) all the adapters required for steering wheel control, surround etc it's going to be best part of £300 and I can get the original repaired for half that and still have all the features I want.

Not a massive fan of the Bose but it sounds okay to my ears and I do like to keep my cars as standard looking as possible.

Damn it!

Just looking on evilBay now and found a few at reasonable prices but most require additional Bluetooth adapters which go for over £100.

Any ideas if it's possible to use the standard GT Bluetooth adapter with aftermarkter HUs?

ta.

Hmmm... I don't want to get mine fixed in case I change my mind while it's away...

And ideas on model numbers I should look out for?

Still don't have a CD changer I assume...

no but most have a slot that you can add one on with

my new headunit has a USB rear socket with an extended cable to put it into the cabin. it allows me to connect up a portable harddrive so i can now have any size Gb of space in there for music, photos and videos, or i can plug my iphone into it.

it also has a CD changer socket, so i could get a seperate unit and add it in. if i was to do that i would put it in the rear cubby behind the passenger. but i don't see the point as with a HDD i can have everything in the car, and i can take it out and load on what ever i want.

• 1 month later...
I don't know what to do!

There aren't many double din head units around the £200 mark, and none of them have a CD changer.

I'm starting to think I may just get my Bose unit repaired and the tape deck hack so I can have 6 disc changer, and MP3 input. Plus I can keep the standard hands-free mic rather than an extra one hanging around somewhere.

By the time I've bought the new HU (Clarion, or otherwise) all the adapters required for steering wheel control, surround etc it's going to be best part of £300 and I can get the original repaired for half that and still have all the features I want.

Not a massive fan of the Bose but it sounds okay to my ears and I do like to keep my cars as standard looking as possible.

Damn it!

What's this 'hack' you refer to for MP3 .. ?