Legallity of custom registration plates

Kennydies

I was very happy with the condition on my new zed until some git pointed out the state of my registration plate.

The front plate has air bubbles under the film and makes it look old and crappy...

So off to the custom plate makers... I have seen a simple plate with a zed icon where GB should be with a black border.

The font is UK standard, what is the legality of the plate with the icon and the border?

The actual spacing and sive of letters is on the DVLA web site and technically UK cars should not deviate from that.

As far as I know surrounds and borders are not illegal - I will stand corrected on that but I have never heard of a prosecution, ticket etc for the surrounds!!

Import cars can have smaller lettering - again sizes are on the DVLA web site - but if the number plate space could support proper lettering there could be an arguement for normal sized lettering.

The rule of thumb my traffic mate Vin (Short for Vindictive if you must know :D !!) and several of his buddies use is that if a speed camera could read it and if they can read it whilst following the car it is not gonig to be the subject of process.

Suffice to say if the driver fails the attitude test with an opening question of

"Shouldn't you be out catching burglars/rapists/druggies/muggers"

Then its going to get a ticket.

Hope this helps

Gotta dash as i am playing poker in 15 minutes and the venue is 20 minutes away.

Lucky I gotta Zed eh :teeth:

Ming the busy

Can other symbols (e.g. national flag, football team crest) be used on number plates?

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and symbols on vehicle number plates.When the regulations are amended they will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

As long as you go with the standard fonts then I think you will be fine with the plates. If you ever get asked about them say they were on the car when you bought it.

Like the look and will be interested to see how they look. Might get myself a set as I want some new ones