Exercise "Iron-Saddle"

Millzzz

Hello everyone,

As some of you may know, I'm a serving soldier in the Royal Engineers.

My unit (RE Close Support Troop - Warminster) are doing a 650 mile endurance cycle ride around all the Royal Engineer units in the UK. Starting at Ripon & travelling to Cambridge, Canterbury, Camberly, Tidworth & Chivenor (amongst a few more smaller units).

It would be really great if any of you on here could sponsor me/us.

We hope to raise over £10,000 for these charities. The more money we get, the bigger difference it'll make. So even if it's only a few Pounds, it'll help us to help those poor sods that really need it.

If you would like to donate, please do so either through the website (PayPal) & in the remarks box, just put "Sponsoring Sapper Mills". It's the easiest way. Means I haven't got to keep sending sponsorship forms off to people lol. I've cleared this with my bosses too. OR, send me a cheque (PM for address details).

Event webite link with all the information below:

cycling5.gif

IF you are kind enough to donate by following the instructions on the above website, please post here with your name & donation amount & I'll make a note of it (Just so my bosses can see where it's come from).

I've purchased a £600 bike especially for this event, I'm that serious about it! We've been practicing since January for it, I went out for a 55mile cycle a few days ago & I was in a big state when I eventually got home! It'll all be worth the pain & saddle sores if we can raise the £10,000 we're aiming for though.

Just remember, for every soldier killed in Afghanistan, 5 come home SERIOUSLY injured. Show a little respect for those who do so much to keep drugs off our streets & bombs off our busses . . .

Many thanks in advance,

Chris.

aka Millzzz

There are 4 charities we're doing it for - ABF_logo.png, h4hnewlogo.jpg, blesma-logo.jpg & RBLegion_logo.JPG.

Ah ok, tisn't a problem. Could you either PM me or write on this thread your:

Full Name,

Email used to donate with,

Amount.

Cheers guys for donating already & thank you Neo for stickying! (I've had to personally hassle other forum mods to sticky an almost identical thread lol)

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

Trainings going well. Completed a 67 mile training ride Wednesday. Me & another completed it in 4hrs. Only stopping to check our navigation (Maps, no Sat-nav nonsense! lol).

Not so good news is that the event's had to be postponed until July due to poor sponsorship. :(

SO, with renewed vigor, ANYONE WANT TO SPONSOR ME?! lol

If I can raise £500 from this club alone, I'll see what I can do about printing the club logo on me jersey ;) If that's not an incentive to donate, I don't know what is!

• 2 months later...

Finally! It's done . . .

Due to poor organisation, the event was changed somewhat. We collectively cycled over twice what we had originally stated (As a group, we cycled over 1,200 miles). One lad even done a 100 mile cycle! I was going to cycle it with him, but after 35 miles, my chain snapped. After 20 minutes of attempting to fix it, I'm ashamed to say I had to get on the safety wagon :dummy:

It then took an extra 2 hours to fix other problems with my bike!

Got to the last 10 miles today & the chain snapped again on the final hill . . . :blush:

So after well over 1,000 miles of training & 300 miles of the actual event, we've done it. . .

A massive thank you to everyone who donated &/or sponsored me. I'd also like to thank the mods for making this thread a sticky.

It's still early days & all the cash from collections we were doing during the week also has yet to be collected but at present, we've raised over £7,000 for the 4 charities!!

Thanks again, I'm now off to consume a well earned Chinky methinks!