Tyre Choice

ToffeeZ

Right.. Ive just been looking at a set of tyres( 245/30x20 Front & 285/30x20 Rear) on the Camskill site. On my Skylines i have always used falken tyres and always been satisfied with them. But in today's economic climate ;) i have found Nankang NS2 which would work out about £130 cheaper for 4 tyres. Has anyone used the Nankang tyres ?. Is this false economy :shrug: or can anyone suggest another option?..... :thumbs:

O

M

F

G

don't get me started, i nearly died on the way home today in the rain, that's not a joke. tbh you could ask me any day and the answer would be the same because every day i take my life into my hands and go out on those black rings of bile and festering crap. Words cannot describe how bad they are, biscuit has been in the car with them on and knows first hand. I would say its very much like driving around on slushy roads everywhere.

suicide method no.342: The nankang way

meh! he already knew what he wanted, recommending something new wasn't what he was looking for.

if he'd asked what tyres to put on, then i would have told him to get the sessantas :lol:

Ive heard good reports about the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta but i have a budget of around £600 which the ( Falkens fit into ...Just) ;) As i said i have had falkens on both my 500 + whp Skylines and they copped admirably :D

Surprised biscuit didn't try to recomended his Sessantas!

They don't have a 285/30x20 Sessanta at Camskills ;)

I'm convinced he works for them, he'll probably get some knocked up.... :dry:

If you can stretch to Falkens I really don't think you could do much better in that price range.

You don't get better than a personal recommendation with items like tyres, shame our marketing dept don't get the concept

just to add a foot note to this...

for the money and compared to its competition, you won't get better than a vredestein ultrac sessanta ;):lol:

honest

well rehearsed biscuit!

Would you ever stray to another brand?

i liked the old michelin pilot sport 2's if i had the money its probably what i'd go for. or r888's but they don't do our sizes, also falkens semi track tyre.

i tried the eagle F1's but found the side walls so so soft, and the tyre would get ruined on gravel. liked the tread pattern on it though.

would need to try some others to get a good idea, but for bang for buck the vreds get 2 :thumbs: from me :lol:

my dads always said to me get the best tyres for your at the end of the day they keep you on the road.

Thats good advise. The one thing with tyre's is you have to be confident that they will perform well. I have done track sessions with falkens and been very happy with them . So unless someone comes up with an alternative in the same price bracket it will be Falkens again. I remember when Bridgestone, Yokohama tyres were classed as Jap Crap, the first thing you did when you bought a new Jap bike was to remove the tyres that came with the bike in favour of a set of new Avons. So tyres like the Neuton NT5000 , Maxxis, Achilles, Cooper, Federal etc might all be capable tyres but until you get confidence from the brand you stay well clear.

Having a high grip tyre sounds good but if it lets go at higher speeds without warning... When I had Nankang NS2s on my Almera GTi grip wasn't the highest but they were predictable with a soft limit. On the other hand the Falken 452s on my 200SX let go spectacularly in cold weather without warning.

But I wouldn't recommend putting Nankangs on a 350Z because it's a heavy and powerful car. Vredestein's didn't exactly shine in this test either:

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticles/eurp_0912_high_performance_tires_buying_guide/final_scores.html

"These slid easily and didn't like to be pushed hard. They never felt planted."

This is a good back to back test of many tyres against Michelin PS2s:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

Och if we're having this discussion again - then I'll say my usual - LOVE my Toyo T1-Rs - when they went on I was amazed at the difference in handling and road noise - cost me £500 for all four corners - so far have done 6k miles on them -including four track days- and they saw me safely through the horrific snow etc in January - they are immense whatever the weather :thumbs: