BROADBAND, WHICH IS THE BEST PROVIDER??

lomoto

Tim,

I've been very happy with Eclipse for the last 5 years. http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

Great service, speed and innovative products....... I'd stay away from the big boys such as BT etc as you typically end up getting crap service.

Try looking here

http://www.adslguide.org

They used to do a monthly review of performance for all ISPs. The top three each month for customer satisfaction, were typically Nildram, Eclipse and Zen etc....... have a look around and then you can compare the ISPs on here:

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp

Hope it helps. Btw, you should be able to get at least 8MB download for around £17 a month...... probably cheaper, but most times the cheapest ain't the best!

I've been with BT for about 5 years instead, no major issues at all, and very reliable.

Now I pay £20 incl vat a month for a 1mb download speed (my line won't go faster than 3MB apparently) and 256k upload speed, 20GB download limit a month but they don't cap you if you occasiaonally go over it.

I think it's a decent deal, anyone know any better?

or just wireless off ur next door neighbour...... :scare:

Lovin it :lol: What range do these rooters cover???

Depends on the type, model, network support etc......

But on the latest one I've just bought, I can easily hijack the neighbours unprotected wireless network, about 100m away.....

Good job I'm not that way inclined! :D

or just wireless off ur next door neighbour...... :scare:

Lovin it :lol: What range do these rooters cover???

Depends on the type, model, network support etc......

But on the latest one I've just bought, I can easily hijack the neighbours unprotected wireless network, about 100m away.....

Good job I'm not that way inclined! :D

Gotcha, nor I :)

Anyway, you could only hijack in theory if they have not protected it through the use of WEP, WPA or WPA-PSK :p

:wacko: How do I know if I'm protected from one of those TLA's

If you have wireless, you would have had to enter one of the above during set it up by entering a password (or number of alphanumeric characters). This then has to also be entered on the client to allow connection to the wireless network.

If you haven't then you have no security on your network and your neighbours may well be using your broadband! :p

Tim, have a look..... if you do end up going with Eclipse then let me know. I can probably quickly explain the differences between the packages and also refer you...... gets me a backhander etc ;)

Ok ..Jacko.. been in touch with Eclipse.. they cant sign me up because Orange has still got something on my line (well something like that ) will have to wait 7 days before it comes off. :rant: give me a ref no. if you want the commision etc..going to take em up on the basic package which will be OK for me at work ..apparently at my work address I'm only a stone's throw from the main exchange so will be able to get a quick speed?? Cheers Tim

Tim, have a look..... if you do end up going with Eclipse then let me know. I can probably quickly explain the differences between the packages and also refer you...... gets me a backhander etc ;)

Ok ..Jacko.. been in touch with Eclipse.. they cant sign me up because Orange has still got something on my line (well something like that ) will have to wait 7 days before it comes off. :rant: give me a ref no. if you want the commision etc..going to take em up on the basic package which will be OK for me at work ..apparently at my work address I'm only a stone's throw from the main exchange so will be able to get a quick speed?? Cheers Tim

Yeah they will probably ask you for something like a MAC id, you normally need to get this when you going to move from one provider to the other......

If you right near the exchange, then you will be able to get the 8MB for £14.99.

I'll PM you the code you need.....

ntl:

don't know if they've got any better recently.

Good points:

Reasonably fast

Usually working

Bad points:

Seriously crap customer service (I've first hand experience of this)

Slow to update speed in line with offers to new users

Kiddy tea-time/early evening the service grinds along too slowly.

Quite expensive (£25 pcm for nominal 4Mb/s)

Probably says it all when I point out that I have not switched my phone or TV service to them.

PROBLEM I HAD WITH WANADOO/ORANGE................................................................. ....

Rang up to update from dialup to Broadband, no problem when I eventually got through 20 mins :scare: Took my details etc.. modem came through in a couple of days hooked it up as per instructions then waited as instructed for 10 days for flashing light to go off, Needless to say it never went out :dry:

Rang there service dept 30 mins wait., only to be told all was well give it another 24 hours :)

again needless to say no joy ..rang again 15 minswait...this time to be told there may be a fault (no @*!#)..to ring another no. (at 50p/min) where an engineer would help..Obviously I told em to bollocks and said I wanted to cancel, onlty to have a young girl tell me I couldnt as I was in a 12c month contract :scare: When I reminded her it was a free 30 day trial was told that didnt matter :teeth:

Finally got put through to a supervisor (after being warned about inappropriate language) who said an enginerr would definitely ring back to sort it out..When I asked what happened if he didnt ring back I was told to ring the premium tel. no......... :wacko:

Again obviously harsh words were spoken , to wit I can never contact Orange again :teeth: (shame it matched my car )