Suspension woes

jables

I've been trying to track down an annoying suspension noise for the last few months. When under near full compression (particularly driving over sleeping policemen) I can hear a dry sound coming from the front. It sounds like you're crushing a packet of crisps!

I've had Cusco ARBs, Powergrid drop links and Whiteline bushes installed so I'm wondering if the increased tension has caused it. Or more likely all the damn pot holes!

Nissan investigated and came back with this:

• [*:1pu41o92]Confirmed noise coming from both front sides
    [*:1pu41o92]Disconnected ARB links
    [*:1pu41o92]Loosened top arm link on N/S/F
    [*:1pu41o92]Lubricated all bushes
    [*:1pu41o92]Suspect noise coming from strut tops and bump stops
    [*:1pu41o92]
    [*:1pu41o92]
Bumper Assy-Bound x 2 --- £70
[*:1pu41o92]Insulator Assy x 2 -------- £180
[*:1pu41o92]Labour x 3 ---------------- £280
[*:1pu41o92]Total ---------------------- £530 :scare:

Has anyone heard of the strut tops/bump stops going? Any suggestions on how to get the cost down appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

I have Tein coilvers fitted, and get a similar noise. Although mine is more of a squeek I guess.

Flacon Performance lubricated every part and coundnt find the problem.

A member on here pointed out an issue, which when I looked at firther, was the problem.

At the top of the shocks is a plastic cover which fits over the bump stops. Unfortunatly this gets misshapen over a number of miles, and end up rubbing on the side of the shock, and against the bump stop.

Some small modification with a stanly knife sorted out the passenegr side, just need to do drivers side when I get a chance.

At the top of the shocks is a plastic cover which fits over the bump stops. Unfortunatly this gets misshapen over a number of miles, and end up rubbing on the side of the shock, and against the bump stop.

Good call, that could well be the problem. It does sound like a plastic, scrunching sound.

I found the info on a Civic forum. some of them simply cut off the cover. Its a dust cover IIRC.

Not something I wanted to do, as I didnt want to run the risk of crap getting in.

I just trimmed off the misshapen bits, and lightly greased around the inside edges. Seems to have worked so far.

The top mounts and insulator stuff does periodically require replacement.

No Drama though as I have all the stuff in stock at fraction of Nissan prices if required.

There labour charge is excessively high, an independant should be able to do this for you at 2 x £50.00.

Alex.