Fuel Economy

spursmaddave

I got slated a while back for saying that someone who is worried about mpg shouldn't be buying a Z. When a friend says that I must spend a fortune on fuel I just say I didn't buy the car for it's economy I bought it for the looks and sound mainly, and they didn't do a bluemotion Z...

I've never really worked out exactly what I get from my 18 mile commute to work but at the weekend I drove from just south of the Thames to just south of the Tyne so before I did some calculating. I use Sainsbury Super Unleaded, not as good as BP Ultimte / Shell or even Tesco but there you go. I thought I might just get 30mpg on the trip with a couple of stops but I was in for a shock!!!

By the time I got on the M1 I was already at 30mpg and it kept (slowly) rising. I certainly didn't hang around, apart from about 40 miles of 50mph limit I sat on 80ish all the way and made the trip in 5 hours with 2 quick stops and a half hour lunch stop. Final (trip computer) mpg was 33.1 which was bang on when I filled up so was pleasantly surprised. I only bought the car in December, is a 54 plate and done 75k miles, and been serviced every 6 months religiously.

I still don't really care how economical it is but nice to know it's not all bad at least!

I do have a 20 miles commute to work mainly on A Roads and I usually get around 25+ mpg ...

It's not that bad considering I used to get around 28 - 30 mpg in my FTO doing the same commute ...

I think on motorway journeys the fuel efficiency is more than satisfactory ...

:thumbs:

yeah motorway journeys its pretty gootd , i get as good if not better than my e46 325 got even wiht the extra litre and 90 odd ponnies .

i think what scares/shocks most peeps is the fill up bill due to the huuge 80 litre tank but id sooner have that than the tiny tanks you get in evos , scoobs etc that cant do long drives on one tank.

yeah motorway journeys its pretty gootd , i get as good if not better than my e46 325 got even wiht the extra litre and 90 odd ponnies .

i think what scares/shocks most peeps is the fill up bill due to the huuge 80 litre tank but id sooner have that than the tiny tanks you get in evos , scoobs etc that cant do long drives on one tank.

yeah it was a big fill up before I left, well over £80 but I just think of the nectar points! Does anyone else use Sainsbury Super? Should I pay the extra bit for higher octane stuff? Asked a million times I know but I can't believe I would feel any difference and for all I know the previous 70k have been on cheap stuff!

I get 23MPG for city driving, however when I use cruise control on the motorway journey up to the girlfriends house I stick it on 70mph and sit back achieving a very steady 35MPG quite easily, even known to have 37MPG if I slow it down a little 5mph.

I'm very satisfied with its ability to be economical AND sporty!

The worst i had was 5.6mpg on a track handling day. (Slalom cones etc).

The best has been 42mpg sat at about 58mph heading south on the M1. Sixth, cruise control on. Reset trip computer. Checked it again about 40 miles later when i pulled off the M1 - i was pretty stunned actually! Good job the M1 was congested and 58mph was about as fast as anyone was going :blush: