New Amp, Speakers, Sub and Enclosure Now Fitted

whitey

After weeks of ripping my z to bits I have finally finished installing my new amp, speakers, sub and sub enclosure.

I have a Pioneer AVH-4100DVD fitted and the system is now sounding brill!

I installed new wires throughout and left the original loom, amp etc in place for an easy swap over should I sell the car!

I have fitted an Infinity Amp into the glove box behind the passanger seat, this is mounted to a matt so that it can be pulled out for easy adjustment:

post-4056-135011875852_thumb.jpg

Hertz ESK 165.3 component speakers in the doors:

post-4056-135011875792_thumb.jpg

Hertz ECX 165.3 speakers in the rear

post-4056-135011875822_thumb.jpg

A Hertz Energy ES200.3 Sub woofer to an enclosure I designed myself on CAD, this fits where the original Bose was situated, but turned out to be a right b*s**rd as it's extremely tight in there!

post-4056-135011875866_thumb.jpg

post-4056-135011875897_thumb.jpg

post-4056-135011875912_thumb.jpg

The volume of the enclosure was calculated to match that recomended by the manufacturer (20.6 Litres).

After making a couple of cardboard templates the finished item fits perfect and due to Wickes putting the wrong label on the MDF, only cost £4 to make!

PS What frequency did you tune the port / box to?

I do not have the equipment to measure this, I just followed the manual for the subs recommendations ie internal volume, port position, diameter and length. According to the manual this should give 38 - 40Hz. I mainly listen to Indie/Rock music and find it excellent for this! :band:

The setup is a massive improvement over the Bose system and well worth the effort, the front Hertz component speakers are excellent. :thumbs:

PS What frequency did you tune the port / box to?

I do not have the equipment to measure this, I just followed the manual for the subs recommendations ie internal volume, port position, diameter and length. According to the manual this should give 38 - 40Hz. I mainly listen to Indie/Rock music and find it excellent for this! :band:

The setup is a massive improvement over the Bose system and well worth the effort, the front Hertz component speakers are excellent. :thumbs:

Good work, bet it sounds nice :thumbs:

PS if you download a test tone CD and run thought the frequecies, you'll get a pretty good idea of where the bass low cuts - cheap and easy way to get feel for the frequency. Manufacturers recommendations are usually pretty reasonable. You'll also notice any bright spots in the range which you can then tune out on the H.U. equaliser :)

Are you going to be taking it to any shows this yr, would love to have a listen :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Whitey

nw that youve had it in for a little while what its like having a decent sub behind you ??

I have just got my plate out so am going to move my sub to the same spot , possibly ported too. im guessing it hits quite hard being directly behind you , at the mo im thinking ported vs sell sub and get a 10 (would laso mena i could get more out of my amp with a DVC).

• 1 month later...

very jealous of your system it's exactly what i want - nice and discreet and using the stock locations. My dilema is how to fit the tweeters without cutting the door card triangles (if you know what i mean). I see you have done this but what when you want to remove them? I suppose you can get new triangle pieces.

That was my original concern but if i sold the car I would have to leave them in instead of the standard ones and buy replacements or, try and find some replacement triangles. I'm not sure if you could mount aftermarket tweeters behind the triangles without cutting them.

That was my original concern but if i sold the car I would have to leave them in instead of the standard ones and buy replacements or, try and find some replacement triangles. I'm not sure if you could mount aftermarket tweeters behind the triangles without cutting them.

Would it really be a big deal to leave them behind? I mean..are they expensive tweeters? Looks great btw, any chance of sticking up the box dimensions if you have them handy?

"any chance of sticking up the box dimensions if you have them handy?"

+1.

Ive got some kenwoods components to go in soon and im hoping to clamp the tweeters up behind the triangles with some sort of bracket so they fire through the grid as the bose ones do - whether it will work or not will be a different matter!

I have always fancied trying out an 8" sub and would love to hear your system. I bet it's punchy as hell but i wonder if it drops enough to power through some low r+b, dance + hip hop stuff.....

The 8" sub is really punchy and is ideal for the music I like (indie/rock stuff). The Hertz speakers are brill, the guitars, drums and bass really cut through, whether the bass would be low enough for R&B etc, I don't know!

Will post the dimensions for the box later in the week when I can access the CAD software.

"any chance of sticking up the box dimensions if you have them handy?"

+1.

Ive got some kenwoods components to go in soon and im hoping to clamp the tweeters up behind the triangles with some sort of bracket so they fire through the grid as the bose ones do - whether it will work or not will be a different matter!

I have always fancied trying out an 8" sub and would love to hear your system. I bet it's punchy as hell but i wonder if it drops enough to power through some low r+b, dance + hip hop stuff.....

Ive just installed my JL Audio tweeters there and apart from removing a bit of the JL plastic tweeter housing (it had a plastic lip all around it , which looked pretty but wasnt needed,, they fitted fine. I used the Bose tweeter bracket which bolts to the car and bolted my tweeter to that. All in all it was alot easier then making the sub box :lol:

Ah cool beans ceaser now you mention it i did think that bracket might be good at clamping the aftermarket tweeter. Glad to hear it works.

Do the majority of people run new wire to the doors or use the existing wiring? It looks like a bit of a ball ache to feed the wiring through those factory door connector jobbies.....

is it a ball ache?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37007

it can be :lol:

but worth doing though as the standard wiring isnt suitable for an aftermarket amp setup in terms of power rating or quality. There is a good guide on here though and if you take your time, print the guide out so you dont have to keep running upstairs every 5 minutes to check things (like i did cause i had no printer paper) then its doable. Just be careful with both the hole drilling and clip reassembly. And if you have hands bigger then that of an elf, prepare to lose a bit of skin :lol:

also, my speakers, JL C650s were tight on space, i had to make some 18mm MDF spacers then space the spacers with 12mm of hardboard. I know the link to speaker spacers claims 1" spacers are enough but for the JLs i needed a bit more