Router Firmware Upgrade

clarkie34

Wayne you need to log into your router. Normally this is done by typing http://192.168.0.1 into your explorer address bar. You will need the username and password to log into your router if you know them. If you dont you may need to do a factory reset, factory is normally "admin" for username and "password" for password for netgear router login if you have not set them iirc. You will then need to find the firmware upgrade page to load the file you have downloaded then run the update from there. :)

Visiting Netgears website will tell you everything you need to know. ;)

I have done all that Dave,got the download on my desktop.When i try and do the upgrade its giving me a error message incorrect file type.I think i need to uncompress the file but not got the correct software for it.

Downloading the file in img format is correct. You should not need anything to uncompress it. Have you tried downloading the file again?

Yeah tried it a few times,still get the same message.

Strange i can only think the router is screwed somehow then :wacko: Wonder if its worth doing a factory reset then? You got the original install cd Wayne to reinstall it?

I will have a look,but i think the only one i have got is from Sky.

Mind you if you can log into the router you can run the install wizard from the router iirc. :) Unless its some weird sky thing that stops you doing it :shrug::wacko:

I recently sold one of these to Jim and did the upgrade for him before it got posted with no problems. But this had nothing to do with sky. :)

Yes, Sky will have custom firmware. Why do you want to update though? Unless you are having specific trouble, you shouldnt need to update it. If you are having trouble, its up to Sky to sort given its their hardware ;)

Yeah, Chris is right. When it comes to routers, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it! Some ISP supplied routers can be a nightmare to deal with if you need to start messing with port forwarding or DMZ as these are usualy hidden away. If that's the case and it is locked down, then it's often easier to spend £40-£60 and buy one with the features you want than trying to mess about with the one you have.

Don't forget though, some ISP's are terrible at traffic shapping during peak hours so if it's slow down you're seeing, then it's probably not your router (i'm not sure on Sky's throttling policies).

Just wanted to be sure I had everything up to date.I have just gone on the UPTO 20 meg but still only getting 5meg at max.

Don't know how they get away with the UPTO 20 meg,big con if you ask me.

Yes its a very big con. If you were on upto 8MB and only got 5MB, then thats the fastest you will get, no matter what they say, unless they have been around and physically changed the lines. If you really want to improve the speed then get an ADSLNation master socket ( http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php ) and put the router right next to it. It got me from 2MB to 4MB :yahoo:

Just wanted to be sure I had everything up to date.I have just gone on the UPTO 20 meg but still only getting 5meg at max.

Anything above 8Mbps is ADSL2 which in my experience was a waste of time. I upgraded from 6.5Mbps on PlusNet to ADSL2 and my speed actually dropped to 5.0Mbps.

adsl2.png

If speed's what you're after, try plugging your router into the master phone socket and if that doesn't help enough, try a BT iPlate (aka broadband accelerator). This is a replacement front for the master socket that removes the interference the bell wire can cause which is particularly good if you've got older BT sockets in your house.

Failing that, and if it's available, go to Virgin like I did. When they say 50Mbps, they mean it!

733754578.png

Same here, Mine is with Sky & they say upto 20meg & I get a whopping 3Meg :dry:

My aunt, who lives a few streets down from me gets 8meg :rant: