Roadster - cost of new roof?

Dave_McC

I noticed at the weekend that there's a small split appeared in my roof - it's about 1cm long and is on the drivers side near the top of what would be the B / C pillar - ie just behind the side window, and just below the seam. It looks like it's just worn through - it's not a "sharp" cut that vandalism would cause.

Anyone else had this? And what's a new roof going to cost from Nissan (or are there any recommended aftermarket suppliers)?

Car's an Apr 06 - so only just under 4 years old - so I'm not very impressed...... And I only noticed it as I was cleaning it as I'm thinking of selling :bang: .

Cheers

Dave

H5 - yeah, that's what I thought too. The car's trying to tell me something.

I've had it 3.5 years now and TBH still love it. Was going to keep it another year - but next car I'm planning is an Audi RS4, and I've just got the opportunity to buy one next month off a colleague at work who's selling it to a dealer - and has offered it to me at the same price he's been offered. As he's not buying a car from the dealer, the price is a pure "trade" price - and so about £3k below what it will retail at. It's immaculate, fairly low mileage and has the right spec.

If I was changing for a 370, I would try to cut a deal with the dealer on it.

Dilemmas, dilemmas!

Dave

Pretty sure I saw a full replacement roof on ebay for just over £500. Not a bad price depending on the condition. At least it should be a genuine one as I don't think companies make replicas of these although happy to be told different.

Think a repair job is the way forward though if you are planning on selling up!! :thumbs:

get a picky up, I think I have the same problem where the glue has come away from the seam on the top corner. The hoods still water tight though as it's glued from the inside and double stitched. Mines been like this since I bought the car over a year ago and never leaked.

I asked a couple of roof repair companies and both said that replacing the entire canvas would be cheaper, as if it was repaired they would have to take the whole canvas off the frame re glue it and couldn't guarantee the repair due to the tension applied to the roof when re-fitted.

QS Mine's not the glue come away - have read about that before on here. Mine is actually about an inch below the lower seam stitching - and is a split / tear. I'm guessing the mechanism must somehow rub here when the roof's folded down, as there's nothing touching this point with the roof up.

Dave

get a picky up, I think I have the same problem where the glue has come away from the seam on the top corner. The hoods still water tight though as it's glued from the inside and double stitched. Mines been like this since I bought the car over a year ago and never leaked.

I asked a couple of roof repair companies and both said that replacing the entire canvas would be cheaper, as if it was repaired they would have to take the whole canvas off the frame re glue it and couldn't guarantee the repair due to the tension applied to the roof when re-fitted.

Did these roof companies incorporate the name Dick Turpin in their adverts!! That's the biggest load of fried sausages I have heard in a long time! As a former trimmer stay well away from them!!

Really we need some close up pictures here folks, also evostick impact adhesive and some spare material will most likely fix this for you and a few hours on the weekend!but please nobody start buying a roof?? :shrug:

Thanks for the photos will help others. Ok that may look bad but it's not don't worry. That is obviously a major stress point on the hood I am surprised that has happened? Chances are it was

not fitted correctly at the factory and causes more stress that it's designed for. Ok good news

there is no need for a new roof. A decent coach trimmer(auto trimmer) will be able to release the pressure apply a patch underneath to strenghten it, reglue that tip bit and resew the material , done well you won't know it peeled away. :thumbs:

I would be more concerned why that has happened in the first place? I would guess the roof is not lined up correctly an pulls that material just a fig too much. From

memory( don't have my zed anymore ) but I am sure there are adjustment points underneath - don't do it yourself get a pro to do it , but never Nissan unless thy are willing to

replace the whole roof under warranty?

Hope this helps - the adhesive used will be an impact adhesive like Evo stick but high temperature version like made by Alpha adhesives and yes it will be waterproof please don't let any rip off

merchants wanting to flog you a new

roof tell you otherwise :)

cheers for that, to be fair it was a major bargaining point in the purchase of my car and saved me about 1k ;) so it's never bothered me too much.

Don't suppose you'd be able to give any reccomendations for a repair within 100 miles of the notts area and a rough cost so I know I'm not getting robbed ?

cheers for that, to be fair it was a major bargaining point in the purchase of my car and saved me about 1k ;) so it's never bothered me too much.

Don't suppose you'd be able to give any reccomendations for a repair within 100 miles of the notts area and a rough cost so I know I'm not getting robbed ?

Unfortunately I have been out of this game for a long time a

lot of good (family time served) companies have gone including the one I worked

for - shame my old boss would have had that sorted for you in a couple of hours.

Ok let's guess your probably looking at about 2-3 hours work ie first hour trying to figure out how it's set up and what can be undone easily then probably glue and blind sew that bit that's sticking up I can't really see how bad it is close up but then patch a bit of material undrneath to give it extra strength so it's really down to their hourly rate and experience? I don't know £100-200 max? Search your local area for auto trimmers or coach trimmers or better still try to find a

local classic car club they will know a good

local one. Hope this helps. :thumbs: