Cayman

polarbear

Finally got around to test driving a Cayman at the weekend. Not an S model sadly, just the 2.7. Not surprisingly it felt really flat compared to the Z with only 245bhp and about 40% less torque. Well balanced though with better turn-in than the Z and the PSM is nowhere near as sensitive as the Nissan's ESP.

Now for the 'funny' bit. Spec'ing it anywhere close to to my Z + GT Pack comes to +43k :thumbdown: Just for a laugh we went through the same spec'ing process for the S model and that came to +50k :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I guess I'll be staying with the Z for a while. Mind you, I'd kill for a bit of Porsche build quality.

Guest prescience

Good information :) Price difference :scare:

On the last point, ever considered a career as a hit man, that seems to fit both requirements being well paid too :lol:

Have a laugh...

--- Bi-Xenon lights £705 :scare:

--- Rear Wiper £229 :yuck:

--- BOSE Surround Sound £859 :scare:

--- 6 disc autochanger £348 :wacko: (and you thought it came with the above)

--- Boxster S 18" £717 :scare: (of course it comes on 17s!!! The wheels in Val's picture are ~£1300)

In last week's Sunday Times in the motoring section they tested the Cayman, at the end they compared it to the Zed

and what do you know they say that you would be better buying aZed and pocketing the extra £10k you would have to spend on a Porsche...Sense , :D

In last week's Sunday Times in the motoring section they tested the Cayman, at the end they compared it to the Zed

and what do you know they say that you would be better buying aZed and pocketing the extra £10k you would have to spend on a Porsche...Sense , :D

£10k+ :scare:

Quote "against (350z): quite thirsty" :rant:

Mine gets ~30mpg on my 60 mile run to work on M-ways and A-roads. The only reason the standard Cayman gets so much fuel economy is that it has no power.

Having now driven both cars I'm certain that the Z is far better than the standard Cayman and at 15k difference (with the right options or +22k to the S) you'd have to be (a) very rich, or (B) really in love with that Stuggart badge to choose the Porch over the Z.

Every car mag or article you pick up and they pit a Z against it, it always comes out on top. :thumbs:

An aunt of my gf was looking at a Cayman S, and then I turned up at their's in the Z. They couldn't believe how good it was, how nice it looked in the flesh or how much it was versus the Porsche. I reminded them they'd be even more gutted with one stuck in the rear view mirror of the Cayman too.....! ;)

Sorry for upsetting anyone but its just like a Boxster in so much as its nothing but a poor mans 911. Not a big fan its fair to say.

I agree to a point, like go get a Zed and save £10k. But a Ferrari F430 owner isn't a poor mans Enzo is it??

I agree to a point, like go get a Zed and save £10k. But a Ferrari F430 owner isn't a poor mans Enzo is it??

Absolutely right mate I quite agree, a 430 isn't a poor mans Enzo and I'm damn sure that nobody walks past it saying it either - which is not something you can say with either a Boxster or a Cayman, I guess its probably cos they both look similar to a 911.

Absolutely right mate I quite agree, a 430 isn't a poor mans Enzo and I'm damn sure that nobody walks past it saying it either - which is not something you can say with either a Boxster or a Cayman, I guess its probably cos they both look similar to a 911.

And the same reason the devil has spawned the 318i with 'M' badges all over it....

They do look similar, I agree. I'd not have one for that reason, but from a build quality and residual point of view I can understand why they sell. I'd still have an Elise or S2000 for affordable convertible.

No idea why they'd drag the power down in the non-S to an almost Golf GTi level either?? :wacko:

Yep crazy isn't it? Still obviously the only thing they feel they can do in order to get the price down further.

Think my problem is that I'm just not a Porsche fan - great cars don't get me wrong and yes you can use em everyday and yadder yadder yadder. But for me (for whatever reason and I've never been able to work out why) they just don't float my boat

Yep crazy isn't it? Still obviously the only thing they feel they can do in order to get the price down further.

Think my problem is that I'm just not a Porsche fan - great cars don't get me wrong and yes you can use em everyday and yadder yadder yadder. But for me (for whatever reason and I've never been able to work out why) they just don't float my boat

We've seen what floats your boat! Its all over your sig :blush:

We've seen what floats your boat! Its all over your sig :blush:

Andy sig is truly amazing.... :thumbs:

Love the way the light shines through onto that sexy arse

Of a 350z :teeth:

I've not test driven a Cayman, but a 911 C2S didn't impress me. Yes it was quicker than a Zed but £70k... :thumbdown:

The Cayman has the potential in S trim to be quicker than an 911, i.e. engine in the right place, but they deliberately slowed it down by such things as not fitting a LSD. I agree with Clarkson, I couldn't buy a car which had design restrictions built in like that... :thumbdown:

The question is when will the buble burst for Porsche. They can't keep on building a dinosaur for much longer surely. Think of the Porsche 911 in 20 years time and guess what it's become a Morgan....:lol: Meanwhile we'll all be driving V8 / V12 600bhp sports cars and the 911 will be driven by pipe smoking bearded gentlemen...:lol: