Top End Rattle In Very Cold Weather

Johnny A

-8C today in sunny Aberdeen :cold: and have noticed same thing as last time we got down to this temperature, namely that when the Z is starting from cold I'm getting a rattle from the top end of the right hand bank of cylinders (right hand if I'm facing the car). Once the car is fully warmed up the noise goes away. Doesn't happen at all in normal weather.

Anything to worry about?

I'm assuming it's just cold, thick oil taking time to warm up and circulate round the tall engine, but interested in thoughts (and whether anyone has the same issue with their car).

Cheers

Johnny A

Hi mate,

First thing to do is make 100% sure that your oil level is on the mark.

Perhaps you are overdue an oil change.

What brand of oil and viscosity are you using ?

What is the year and mileage of your car?

I assume that your oil pressure is good on start up.!!!!

Alex.

-8C today in sunny Aberdeen :cold: and have noticed same thing as last time we got down to this temperature, namely that when the Z is starting from cold I'm getting a rattle from the top end of the right hand bank of cylinders (right hand if I'm facing the car). Once the car is fully warmed up the noise goes away. Doesn't happen at all in normal weather.

Anything to worry about?

I'm assuming it's just cold, thick oil taking time to warm up and circulate round the tall engine, but interested in thoughts (and whether anyone has the same issue with their car).

Cheers

Johnny A