Electro magnetic parking sensors

Emperor Ming

Has any one on here fitted one of these?

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/taurus.asp

The rear windows of my Zed are very dark so parking is more difficult than ever.

I AM NOT going to drill holes in my bumper and intended to mount the reversing sensors in the REVERSING LIGHT LENS as I did on my jag. Then I saw the above and thought that if they were any good then there would be no need to drill holes in anything :thumbs:

Has anyone else fitted parking sensors and if so which ones and how good were they?

Cheers guys

Ming the Upgrader

Hi Mike

thanks for the quick reply

Do you know if anyone fitted one?

All i am after is a reliable reverse parking sensor. A two sensor system will do as I will mount them in the reversing lights.

Simple bleeps will do to allow a judgement of distance in parallel parking.

I saw these and thought that if they were reasonably effective it would save drilling holes in anything.

The only draw back that I can see is that they only work when the car is moving and stop if the car stops?

With standard stuff the bleeps continue when stationary and until you take the car out of reverse.

I don't really fancy shelling out £260 on the Nissan stuff when you can bet its only the same stuff as on sale on the web but with a Nissan sticker on it somewhere ;)

Any recommendations greatly appreciated as Mrs Ming is treating me for my birthday next month!

Ming hte Hopeful

The main reasopn I did nothing more about this at the time was that I have a JDM which has a reverse gear "beep" already. I couldn't stand the thought of two "beeps" going simultaneously! :headhurt:

Anybody know how to disable the reverse "beep"?

Mine is a JDM and I have no 'go backwards' beep? Should I feel left out??

I think I am going to have a look at the rear bumper in daylight tomorrow and see what it would be like to fit. If it seems easy enough then i think I will be a guinea pig and try it.

I do like the idea of it being hidden from sight and I do need some sort of reversing sensor before i make a mess of the bumper.

I will let you all know how it goes

Ming the pioneer

Mine is a JDM and I have no 'go backwards' beep? Should I feel left out??

Ming the pioneer

Left out!!?? Consider yourself lucky - it drives me nuts. I usually know when i am reversing so I don't need a "beeper" to tell me! :rant:

I do like the idea of it being hidden from sight and I do need some sort of reversing sensor before i make a mess of the bumper.

I will let you all know how it goes

Ming the pioneer

Seriously, Ming, I'll be keen to hear how it goes, especially if some kind person can tell me how to get rid of the f***ing "BEEP"

Jim (I'll get over it eventually)

The main reasopn I did nothing more about this at the time was that I have a JDM which has a reverse gear "beep" already. I couldn't stand the thought of two "beeps" going simultaneously! :headhurt:

Anybody know how to disable the reverse "beep"?

Probably a wire connected to the reverse light/ cut the speaker ;)

With the speaker being under the dash I would guess that the feed for it comes from the reverse switch which will be somewhere near the gear lever. I would guess at two feeds. One for the reversing lights and one for the speaker. A process of elination should sort it out.

Just a thought.

No one else on here disabled the errant BEEP?????

Ming hte Beep free

PS

I looked under the bumper and there is plenty of space to fit the strip underneath the metal section of the bumper with space a plenty for the box of bits and access to a feed. Its going to be fiddly but not impossible and there should be no need to take the bumper off. :D

As it is only a warning sound and does not have to be loud I reckon the beeper can stay in the boot as well and the whole thing will be out of sight whichj in my book is better still.

I am going to email the firm and ask if the strip need to be fitted upright or can it be tilted down over its length as the bumper place I want to use, and can get to, faces down at about 45 degree's. To fit it above this place on a verticle surface would be MUCH more difficult and could require bumper removal.

I will keep you updated.

Hi guys

Was just about to buy one of these but phoned the company first.

Glad I did!!

The strip needs to be verticle otherwise it picks up road movement so our bumper would be problematic as the main available surface is leaning down at 40 degrees.

Also it needs to be 50 cm from the floor AND 20mm from any metal.

The main support for the bumper is a VERY large piece of metal from side to side and therefore takes out any possiblity of this system being used :thumbdown:

On my Jag I fitted the reversing sensors in the reversing lights themselves and they almost disappeared. I think I will be going down this route again as I do not want to cut holes in the bumper.

Does anyone recomend a good quality but simple system. I only want an audible beep as I intend to fully hide the system.

Ming the Blind reverser

I installed it just below the level of the rear indicators. As far as I remember, this was over the cross member, but it was not too close to affect operation. The only time I get false readings is when reversing over a manhole cover or drain, but I can put up with that, rather than having 4 ugly lumps on the bumper.

I would guess from memory (I installed it about a year ago), that it is where the green line is on this picture:

I installed it just below the level of the rear indicators. As far as I remember, this was over the cross member, but it was not too close to affect operation. The only time I get false readings is when reversing over a manhole cover or drain, but I can put up with that, rather than having 4 ugly lumps on the bumper.

I would guess from memory (I installed it about a year ago), that it is where the green line is on this picture:

thanks mate

Did you take the rear bumper off or did you fit it through the spaces left when the rear lights are taken out?

I agree I really do not want holes in my rear bumper!

Cheers

Ming the greatful

I couldn't work out why your fitment seemd so easy and then I realised that JDM cars have totally different rear bumpers the number plate area being SQUARE.

This is going to make the fitting of a strip a lot more difficult.

I have had another look at my rear end - so to speak - and the space between the outler skin and the metal cross member is filled by a piece of polestyrene and as such the fitment may yet be possible.

Does anyone know how easy or otherwise the removal of the rear bumper is??

ming the hopeful