replacing rear re040 with re50's OK ??

yokomo

Hi All

got my MOT coming up and i think im gonna need some new rears , problem is i cant see anywhere with the re40 even listed.

are they just the old version of the re50's and whats my chances of getting away with a pair of 40's and not borking the handling ?

most sites seem to suggest the re50's so im inclided to just find a pair and go for but thought best ask frst !

yeah id sooner get some 40's and keep it allmatched but im completely skint and cant really afford2 new tyres let alone 4.

the fronts are fine dont need changing but cant even see re40s listed, quick skim about and keep seeing the 50's listed as the 350z tyre.

quite confused now :bang:

edit found 40's on black circles but says they are run flats ? also list about 4 different re050's !

mate 40's are crap compared to 50's and getting them for the same price as 50's your being robbed.

the only reason it is a recommended tyre is that nissan gets paid by bridgestone to put it down as the stock tyre. nothing to do with its quality or suitability. this means that alot of people will buy it because the book says so and thus the price is higher than it should be.

hee so many choices !

found 40s and found 50's . the 40's arent on bridgestone site any more so im assujming theyre an old rnage replaced with 50's.

from there though it gets confusing fast as there liek 4 types !

some seem quite cheap at £110 ish others are like £170.

hee so many choices !

found 40s and found 50's . the 40's arent on bridgestone site any more so im assujming theyre an old rnage replaced with 50's.

from there though it gets confusing fast as there liek 4 types !

some seem quite cheap at £110 ish others are like £170.

i think alot of people go for falkens to reduce cost? im not sure on prices but by the general reviews they seem good.

putting 40's and 50's mismatched on a car is no differnt than putting other brands together. just because they are both bridgestone doesnt mean they have anything in common :thumbs:

yeah camskill looked good.

just getting different answer as to if it will all go pete tong if i swap the rears for somtihng other than whats on there. yes it wil be a pair i know left and right must match .

this is what im inclinded for at the mo ..

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=52216

or these as theyre much cheaper

http://www.tyrexpress.com/Bridgestone/R ... 43114.aspx

arg i hate being skint and needing them fast otherwise id just hunt down a set of rays and use what on them till i can get sorted proper.

side noteanyone got some rays with useable tyres ?

just getting different answer as to if it will all go pete tong if i swap the rears for somtihng other than whats on there.

Straight away? No. When you encounter something bad (other car, wet road surface, changing road temperature between surfaces) and need the car to do exactly as it's told? Yes, and not in the good way. Tyres are a really bad place to start saving money on as they're the only thing in contact with the road.

Chuck the money on a credit card if you must, but please don't run odd tyres on the car.

This whole mixing tyres front and back thing, seems to split opinions, to me it makes sense and everyone always advised the same on VX220s. However I know several people who ran mixed tyres on vx220s with no problems, in fact a lot of people said they prefered the handling with the mix, that includes people who tracked on regular basis, as far as I know none of them are dead yet.

If you are really skint and the choice is bald tyres or mismatched front and back I would go for the later, and be a bit more cautious when pushing on...

There isn't a manufacturer in the world who sells cars with mismatched tyres, and I can't think of a single serious race team that does either. Ask yourself why, and then look into the difference between compounds, treads and why mixing tyres is a bad idea. Make your own decisions.

Having come from VX220s myself there were very few people who ran mismatched tyres (at least on .org and type116.com), so that's a bit misleading. If there were 5 people that did, then there were 500 that didn't.

Actually I've just re-read your post and I've come across as a bit harsh, sorry 'bout that :oops:

Tbh (and this is my final comment, promise!) if you can't afford to get a set of tyres then you've bought the wrong car. Applies to just about every type of car out there, be it a Hummer rolling on 30" blings or the tiniest 1960's Mini with diddly lickle wheels. It's a £30K car and needs respecting as such, and that includes the cost of appropriate tyres.

Actually I've just re-read your post and I've come across as a bit harsh, sorry 'bout that :oops:

Tbh (and this is my final comment, promise!) if you can't afford to get a set of tyres then you've bought the wrong car. Applies to just about every type of car out there, be it a Hummer rolling on 30" blings or the tiniest 1960's Mini with diddly lickle wheels. It's a £30K car and needs respecting as such, and that includes the cost of appropriate tyres.

when i bought the car i could afford such tyres infatc therye cheaper than my 325 i had before the Z so i dont think they are expensive .just getting hit for 2 tyres at £340 vs ah i need to replace the front 2 aswell that arent worn and dont need replacing just becasue bridgestone have discont them is a royal pain in the botty !

how ever recently ive come in to cash issues that should be getting sorted shortly , totaly wiht on you the dont buy a sports car and expect it to be cheap !

just getting hit for 2 tyres at £340 vs ah i need to repalce the front 2 aswell that arent worn and dont need replacing just becasue bridgestone have discont them is a royal pain in the botty !

the plan was (prior to cash problems) to make them last til i can get some new rims .... most annoying thing is il probably be looking for the new wheels in a month or so :(

anyhows such is life , going to get the re50's on tommorrow then i guess il just have to either get some new fronts soon or change them.

I ran toys on the back with bridgestones on the front. Didn't notice anything. I wasn't pushing to the extremes of track use where perhaps you may notice it.

Manufactures wont mix tyres on new cars because they are tied into a supply deal anyway. For sure its probably better to keep all four corners the same.

yeah as i said from the start i agree keep them the same if posible but since you cant get the 40's anymore infact aprently you havent for quite some time want to know if it was gonna be real bad wiht a front rear mix.

guess il find out tomorrow !

No problem, I'm hard to offend! :lol:

I just wanted to add a little reason to the debate, not sure of the right or wrong answer, I ran my VX with goodyear eagles and back wheels on the front for a bit, many in the VX world would tell you I would have instantly crashed at the first roundabout, I didn't, I drove them hard and did walshy days on them and they were fine. (as it happened I didn't like the set-up as it tramlined like a bihatch, so I went back to bridgestones which were great, but a lot of people were vocal about how bad they were too). It just seems lots of people have lots of opinions on this...

Thought your username was familiar, must know it from .org days

its all good anyway, OP has elected to run different front and rear, let us know how it goes yokmo!