Tail Light Connectors

jacr87

• 1 year later...

I'm in the process of receiving a pair of OEM LEDs from Alex :yahoo:

I've been searching on the forum to find out how to switch these clusters over.

Now I know I need to remove the caps and bolts holding the units down. Once that's complete , I have read different methods of connecting the loom to the LEDs. I know the JDMs have to replace/modify the connector, what about the UK ones?

I've read somewhere I need to shave off the ridges on the connector?

What do I do with the bulb holder etc?

Sorry about the dumb questions, but I have no idea what I need to do! :blush:

I appreciate your help guys :thumbs:

Hassan

Now I know I need to remove the caps and bolts holding the units down. Once that's complete , I have read different methods of connecting the loom to the LEDs. I know the JDMs have to replace/modify the connector, what about the UK ones?

Hassan

Totally plug and play with no mod required. :thumbs:

If you have a U.K model then its a straight replacement, just be careful not to snap the plastic caps off when you prise them up to get at the bolts that hold the lights in place. The units are one piece, so no need to fiddle around with bulb holders :thumbs:

Pete

Hassan

Totally plug and play with no mod required. :thumbs:

Thanks for your reply Alex, what do I do with the bulb holders (as they're not required in the LED units)?

If you have a U.K model then its a straight replacement, just be careful not to snap the plastic caps off when you prise them up to get at the bolts that hold the lights in place. The units are one piece, so no need to fiddle around with bulb holders :thumbs:

Pete

Sorry I completely missed your reply!

That answers the question about the bulb holders :)

Just out of curiousity, if a brake light bulb blew in my current unit, how would I replace them if they're sealed units?

Thanks Pete :thumbs:

Just took a quick look at my old lights. As far as I can see, there's only the one bulb and its a simple matter of unscrewing the connector and replacing the bulb. Don't know how the 2006 onwards lights work though :shrug:

Pete

I was confused because traditional vehicles normally have a wiring loom coming out of the boot that has a holder and a bulb at the end. This then twists into the light cluster. So I was thinking, if you removed the light cluster completely this would come away from the bulb holder, leaving the bulb and holder hanging.

I'm guessing the 350z is different and I'm sure it's plug and play like everybody says :D

I forgot to ask...what tools will I require to carry out the light cluster swap from 03-06 to OEM LEDs?

Thanks,

Hassan

I had to remove my rear lights just the other week to swap some bulbs around ...

You'll need a small flat screwdriver to remove the plastic covers on the lights, then a 10mm socket to remove the 3 bolts for the lights.

Once you've got those out, it's simply a case of pulling the light away from the car .. there are 2 clips which also hold the light to the car, but these shouldn't be any problem ..

:thumbs:

I forgot to ask...what tools will I require to carry out the light cluster swap from 03-06 to OEM LEDs?

Thanks,

Hassan

I had to remove my rear lights just the other week to swap some bulbs around ...

You'll need a small flat screwdriver to remove the plastic covers on the lights, then a 10mm socket to remove the 3 bolts for the lights.

Once you've got those out, it's simply a case of pulling the light away from the car .. there are 2 clips which also hold the light to the car, but these shouldn't be any problem ..

:thumbs:

Perfect thanks! :thumbs:

I've got all the tools with me ready to carry out the swap after work in the car park :lol:

Will there be loads of dirty under the light clusters that's built up between the bodywork and the units?

Thanks,

Hassan

Yes there was quite a lot of dirt under my lights when I removed them...

I was going to get all OCD and clean it but didn't bother in the end .. LoL

HAHA!!! That's what I was thinking of doing, I can't place a brand spanking new LED unit on a dirty surface now can I...? :lol:

I think I have OCD... :headhurt:

HAHA!!! That's what I was thinking of doing, I can't place a brand spanking new LED unit on a dirty surface now can I...? :lol:

Hahaha .. Actually I think if I were replacing the original light with some new LED ones then I would have to make sure it was clean too!

I think we've all got OCD to some extent ... LoL

Hahaha .. Actually I think if I were replacing the original light with some new LED ones then I would have to make sure it was clean too!

I think we've all got OCD to some extent ... LoL

My case of OCD is worrying trust me :lol:

I HAVE RECEIVED MY LED LIGHTS!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!!