Front tyres both scrubbed on inside wall

andyvvc

Front tyres both scrubbed on inside wall - they need replacing. Front left is ok to swap for the right, but the right is totally illegal. Zero tread left on the inside wall, but just a few cm's towards the centre there is an even 3mm + of tread right across the tyre. It has shaped the inside of the tyre too its that bad - god knows how i haven't spotted this ! *Looks* like the dreaded tyre feathering that plagued older Zeds....although im running Toyo's not RE040's !

Im getting the car down to Notts 4 wheel laser alignment near the County ground (printed the GEO settings off this site - cheers! B) ), then will order 4 new Falken 452 tyres (i was about to replace the rears anyway as thay are close to 2mm). Im running Toyo's but i cant stretch to four new Proxies, so the Falken 452s will hopefully be a close equivalent?

Camskills want a total of £394 delivered for the four Falkens. The Toyos work out about a hundred quid more. The Bridgestone RE050A (350z spec) run to nearly 600 quid ! So i'll go with the Falkens and (if Notts laser Alignment are decent for the alignment) i will get the new tyres shipped there for fitting. They have one of those new automatic tyre removal machines...so no scuffing of the RAYS.

Somebody shout if the Falken's are sh1te :teeth:

Wont be the normal tyre feathering issue, that was down to the RE040 tread rather than the car. More than likely the tracking/geometry is out, so you are doing the right thing getting it looked at. :thumbs:

Nowt wrong with the Falkens, not the best tyre in the world, but great for what they cost. Tyrewall is a bit squishy, but adding a PSI or 2 can help that. Not particularly good in the wet either, but by no means are the RE040s ;)

Nowt wrong with the Falkens, not the best tyre in the world, but great for what they cost. Tyrewall is a bit squishy, but adding a PSI or 2 can help that. Not particularly good in the wet either, but by no means are the RE040s ;)

Cheers Chris. I experienced the squishy tyrewall problem with the Toyos - been running them at 37psi to counter this a little. Anyone know if the Falkens are worse/as bad ?

Im running 25mm lowered suspension on the car - all sorted at ESR 18 months ago. Been thru the last set of fronts and rears with no wear issues. They were totally even across all 4 tyres. The lads at ESR sorted the camber and toe really well. I suspect this is a toe/alignment issue. I probably should have had it re-checked 6 months ago doh!

Booked into Notts Laser Alignment near the County Ground at 1pm tomorrow. The lads are going to sort the GEO while i wait :thumbs:

Will soon see if i need the Falken's urgently or not. I'll try to get some pics of the scrubbing too - note to all, get your GEO checked every 10k miles. Dont forget like i did :wacko:

I'm in the same situation and going for falkens. When I got the geo done the steering wheel ended up off centre. I went back today to have a whinge. They looked again and have said that nothing is wrong with the settings and it's prob down to the inside wear due to the toe which has now been changed.

Hopefully when I fit the new tyres all will be well again...

I thought centring the steering wheel was supposed to be aprt of the GEO setup? Or am i wrong..?

Bloke at the Alignment place reckons it's toe-ing out, thus scrubbing the inner walls a little. I might get away with saving the fronts if the 3mm of tread is across more than 60% of the tyre. (At a glance, it looks like 80% is at 3mm with the inner edge worn away. Cant see any cords, and looks like there is plenty of rubber left, just no tread pattern at the edge).

Having said that, i recon 400 quid(ish) fitted for 4 Falken 452s is probably something i will sort next week - better to have the grip from same-set tyres, rather than mix new rears with part-worn fronts i guess ?

I thought so too and said as much. Their point is that the only way that could be achieved with my existing front tyres would be to dial in incorrect toe settings.

Don't get me wrong, the wheel is central when you park up with the fronts straight, but at any speed it is off centre.

Mine had way over the limit on toe in. The car deffinately drives better and changes direction more spritely, but the 11 o clock steering position drives me up the wall!

Paid 68 quid for the GEO setup. Cant do anything on the camber of the fronts as expected. (currently at 1.4 degrees, with the specs says between 0.1 and 1.2 - so not terrible).

Toe was the issue on the fronts - should have been 0.00 to 0.05 degrees. Mine was out at -0.10 ! Big difference! Now set at 0.04 on both fronts.

Rears were cambered out too much - were at 2.20 degrees. Now at 2.02 degrees (1.05 to 2.05 range)

Toe was out at the rears too. 0.16 and 0.13 respectively. Now set at 0.08 (0.03 to 0.06 range) So these are MUCH better than before now too.

Looks like potholes have caused most of the issues i have had with Geometry...toe has been affected the worst.

Nottingham Laser Alignment were great - bloke took me thru to his computer in the workshop and showed me the Nissan specs, digital readout of my current settings etc. Very eye opening ! They are based near the County Ground. Had to laugh as my car was being backed out - bloke was blipping the throttle a little bit cos the Cobra exhaust sounded so awesome in the workshop. A chap who owned a Scooby had just turned up and was craning his neck to see the source of the noise :teeth:

Glad you have had the geometry sorted out :thumbs:

I put those Falcons on my daughter's car and I am pleased with them. Good all round tyre. £400 seems about right for a set fitted. If you are not getting balancing and new valves included for this then go elsewhere. Try and get the supplying tyre depot to supply and fit the tyres as you will get the best deal doing it that way. Don't forget to shop about :surrender:

I'm in the same situation and going for falkens. When I got the geo done the steering wheel ended up off centre. I went back today to have a whinge. They looked again and have said that nothing is wrong with the settings and it's prob down to the inside wear due to the toe which has now been changed.

Hopefully when I fit the new tyres all will be well again...

If your tyres have very uneven wear compared to each other I could see how that is logically possible, but I'd get a note in writing to say that when you get new tyres they will check the car again for free and adjust if needed ;)

Good advice. To be honest i have given up with them, this is the second car i have had where i have had problems after alignment. They are claiming worn suspension components / everything under the sun etc which i cant disprove.

I'm hoping to get the new tyres fitted and then (assuming its no better), go somewhere else for just a front alignment (the next nearest 4wheel place is 40 miles away).

Assuming they have not buggered the back settings i assume i can have a different garage just adjust the front until everything feels nice and centred?