Brakes dont work - help!

marzman

Hey guys,

My brakes arent working. They almost dont stop the car at all when at very low speeds! With moderate speed they are working a little, but when you slow right down, they're doing nothing!!

My zed has been sat for a month apart from 1 trip out to the garage.

I have all brand new brakes with under 1500 miles on them - discs/pads/braided lines/fluid...

When i went to the garage I was having some work done which included the anti-roll bar end links being replaced, but the nuts were rounded on so the guy at the garage cut them off with the acetylene torch. Now this is a directed heat source but the end links are still very close to the brake lines... do you think its possible that this has cooked my fluid??

I went out for a drive tonight for about 20mins... there is a fairly large amount of travel in the peddle, and i tried some spirited driving to get a little heat into them but they didnt improve at all. I checked the fluid immediately after this and it was on the 'max' line.

Any ideas?

Hmmm not good... sounds like you have an airlock and they need bleeding. Did it feel like all 4 had gone?

Yes mate, there is very little braking function from any caliper. Back to the garage i think. :angry:

what mark said ;)

airlock, and a bad one by the sounds of it.

So what causes an airlock?? (am searching now btw ;) )

Badly bled brakes..

You never know the heat could have split the pipe and cause air to get in and then the hole has closed when the line has closed.

Check your master brake cylinder too as this may not be working right...

Get the car back to the garage.

Did the brakes feel ok on the way back from the garage originally? If you had an airlock or air in the system from the start, the brakes would never have felt solid. It took 2 attempts at my brakes to get all the air out, we thought we were there once and stil it felt not quite rock solid, did them again and a bit more popped out from the last calliper :doh: The Zed is a bit of a sod to bleed if you've not done it before, very odd order to it.