OSF suspension clonk, diagnosing problem...

kazman

Hi

I have a clonking sound coming the front off side suspension, it does it when going over rough surfaces at slow speeds.

Numerous searches have suggested it is either down to a drop link or the banana shaped bar. The later is obviouly more expensive (though good second hand options are available) but seems to be more typically the source of the problem.

Bearing in mind I don't have the tools or brains to investigate this, can anyone tell me if there is a way of diagnosing between the two faults whilst driving along? Does one make a very different sound etc?

I know diagnosing sounds is pretty futile, but if there is any good advise that may save me swapping components unnessesarily it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

i would definetly say its the banana shaped bar, if you want to test you drop links the best thing to do is undo it and disconnect it, which means the anti roll bar is disabled, go for a steady drive taking it easy over a road you know the noise comes from, if its still there you know its not the drop link, thats what i did through recommendation :thumbs:

i had the same problem a while back and changed alot of parts, the banana shaped part being last :doh:

Thanks guys, that's a usefull piece of advice. How hard is it to disconnect the front drop link? Any idea what tools are required?

I have read that thread a few times already (thanks though), it's posts like that that strongly make me think it's the part at fault.

Wonder why it always seems to be the offside one?

not sure really, ive been on a few american sites and they have the same problem and the same side as ours, strange

the drop link is easy to undo, just one bolt, only undo the bottom bolt and then tie it up to the roll bar, youll know what i mean when you do it, dont even need to remove the wheel, cant remember the bolt size though

Oh, one other thing -

If i do change the banana shaped bar, will i need a full geo alignment? Only i am thinking of getitng one done anyway and dont want to pay for it only to have all the work undone again.

I don't think an alignment check is necessary since the components we are discussing are all non-adjustable ( I'm referring to drop links, 'banana bar', upper wishbone and the compression rod which was the component that fixed it for me)

Sequence of events on my car went something like this ( over a period of a year )

The rattle started shortly after front discs and pads were fitted. The rattle occurred only at low speed when going over smalls bumps in the road surface. I could make it happen every time when I ran over the chevron no parking markings outside a school near me.

front suspension.pdf

Left & right stabiliser connecting rods ( item 14 ) renewed

Rattle still there :angry:

Left & right transverse links ( item 13 ) renewed

Left upper link ( item 7 ) renewed

Front discs and pads replaced with genuine Brembo items

Left compression rod ( item 11 ) renewed

Rattle cured :yahoo:

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon .... good luck

For diagnosis of the problem try left foot braking when the noise is happening (keep the car going forward of course), this seems to load up the offending item and temporarily stops the noise .......... it did in my case anyway

• 1 month later...

Just as an update, it turned out to be a front drop link... my rattle did not sound quite the same as the compression rod rattle vid that was posted up elsewhere which was why i was not convinced it was the problem i had. Anyway, all sorted now :thumbs: