My car control day at Finmere in the 350Z

Nigelp

This is pretty much a copy/paste from my review on Northloop, so the names aren`t relevant. The pictures tell the story anyway ;)

Short version. It was great fun, lots of messing around, nothing hit and is pretty cheap too.

Mazda on Track Car control days.

Loaded up Friday, that was interesting, I reckon there was 25mm clearance each side of the Nissan between the alloys and trailer sides :o . Drove down to MK to stay with Simon, traffic was awful, what did I expect for a Friday night?

Short 30 min drive to Finmere then ready to unload the Nissan.

IMG_4553.jpg

A guy came over and asked if he could borrow my footpump, no problem. He came back 5 minutes later having broken it. "sorry...." :(

Cup of coffee, sign on then time for the most relaxed Briefing I`ve ever been to :thumb:

"don`t crash and have fun" were basically the rules of the day.

IMG_4555.jpg

Then is was time for some sighting laps behind Al (who drove the quickest signting laps I`ve ever done...), immediately after, we started on the `handling course`, I say handling, but it appeared almost everyone treated it as a drift course.... whistle.gif

Alex had a check underneath after hitting the `bump` partcularly hard.

NLP_5798.jpg

Initially, some people were struggling with understeer, including this guy who`d won this car in the Raffle @ Bovington.

NLP_5978.jpg

NLP_6800.jpg

NLP_6907.jpg

NLP_7837.jpg

cone collecting...

NLP_6000.jpg

NLP_6500.jpg

NLP_6888.jpg

NLP_8147.jpg

Cone removal team in operation

NLP_6005.jpg

NLP_8048.jpg

The Nissan was easy to drift.

NLP_6090.jpg

NLP_6241.jpg

NLP_6457.jpg

Matty was having a great time.

NLP_6223.jpg

There were spinners too.

NLP_7511.jpg

Alex

NLP_6297.jpg

NLP_7195.jpg

Simon

NLP_8659.jpg

Then, it started to come together.

NLP_5991.jpg

NLP_6031.jpg

NLP_6110.jpg

NLP_6264.jpg

NLP_6331.jpg

NLP_6346.jpg

NLP_6554.jpg

NLP_6567.jpg

NLP_6777.jpg

NLP_6920.jpg

NLP_7004.jpg

NLP_7024.jpg

NLP_7029copy.jpg

NLP_7377.jpg

Even Al had a play..

NLP_7481.jpg

NLP_7491.jpg

NLP_7943.jpg

After a morning`s instruction, Helen took to the circuit

NLP_8115.jpg

Jim had a go and understeered..

NLP_8175.jpg

Alex was the first to destroy a tyre.

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

Smoke, we liked Smoke thumb.gif

NLP_6705.jpg

NLP_7350.jpg

NLP_7539.jpg

NLP_8096.jpg

NLP_8350.jpg

NLP_8427.jpg

NLP_8441.jpg

NLP_8447.jpg

NLP_8513.jpg

NLP_8636.jpg

NLP_67541600x1200.jpg

Jim drove Ian`s car, and span..

NLP_8764.jpg

When spinning, the general consensus was that keeping it pinned was a good idea thumb.gif

NLP_8659.jpg

NLP_8852.jpg

NLP_6726.jpg

NLP_7511.jpg

Darren all wired up.

NLP_6692.jpg

Just before Lunch, Nick pointed out my rears were down past the canvas and to the metal. Whoops.

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

Fitted the spare pair of `fronts` to the back, up to 45psi and away we went.

Lou went out for a go on the short track, she span a couple of times, but managed to get the back out and then save it, so for here, that was job done and she was happy :)

We`d brought some portable burners, frying pans, bacon, eggs and bread for lunch. Surprisingly, a queue formed.... whistle.gif

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

The afternoon was pretty much the same as the morning, lots of fun and wearing out of tyres.

NLP_9153.jpg

NLP_9223.jpg

NLP_8428.jpg

NLP_8046.jpg

NLP_9083.jpg

Helen was giggling from the passenger seat as usual.

NLP_8891.jpg

NLP_8897.jpg

I knew the tyres were well worn, took Simon for a couple of runs. The last one and I managed to get the transition from left to right in one slide, best I`d done all day, I was chuffed. Went towards the finish line sideways when the rear tyre popped. Ah..

NLP_9018.jpg

IMG_457550.jpg

IMG_457650.jpg

Day over, so I had a few great laps with Alex as he tried to destroy the rear tyres he`d been `loaned`...

Loaded up and left around 4:30pm, back home just under 3 hours later after an awesome day. yahoo.gif

I`d definately recommend the day, the surface looked bad, but was actually OK, the tyre wear was higher than expected, I destroyed 4 part worn tyres in 22 miles. Most of that was sideways with the tyres smoking, but you are much better going with a set of cheap tyres on an event like this. You`ll have just as much fun. Organisation was very relaxed, so long as you didn`t look dangerous, you were left alone, with advice being offered when needed.

Catherine, who spent the morning in the X5, had the inverter plugged in. Unfortunately, just as we were ready to leave, I tried to start the X5 and the battery was Flat ! OH NO !! Fortunately, Alex had a booster Pack we could use.

IMG_4577.jpg

I can understand why people keep using MoT, they are a great set of guys thumb.gif

Couple of videos from the Day, unfortunately, the stabilisation had been turned off :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljkdof12Y

A MASSIVE thanks to cookiemonster, who sold me these alloys and tyres.

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

Which, by the end of the day, were worn out..

IMG_4574.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

most 'events' like that that I've planned to go to seems to attract the ...eeerh... wrong crowd. looked as it was a good crew there :thumbs:

Mazda on Track actively `discourage` the "...eeerh... wrong crowd", for the same reasons. It can spoil it for everyone else.

Although called `Mazda on Track`, they do allow other marques too :thumbs: 350Z owners are very welcome and they make awesome drift cars for novices too :D

most 'events' like that that I've planned to go to seems to attract the ...eeerh... wrong crowd. looked as it was a good crew there :thumbs:

B) Mazda on Track actively `discourage` the "...eeerh... wrong crowd", for the same reasons. It can spoil it for everyone else.

Although called `Mazda on Track`, they do allow other marques too :thumbs: 350Z owners are very welcome and they make awesome drift cars for novices too :D

might try and find some group like that over here B)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...