Advise on front tyre purchase

midiman

Hi guys,

My current front tyres, continental contact sport 3 are coming to the end of their life span. The rears seem to be ok for now. Any suggestions as to what tyres to replace with, i realise if i change brand then all four are changed together.

Best quote for two contact sport 3 (225/45/18) £360 fitted.

Then i saw Falken 452s for £100 each.

I use the Z for normal commute, motorway, nothing mental

Appreciate some advise or suggestions.

Thanks

Midman where you based ?

In the next week or so I will be taking a pair of Conti Sport 3s off the front of mine.

They have done about 2,500 (have not got a depth gauge thingy). Just had Falkens on the back and the fronts are on order.

I'm in Rural Wales,hence the need to order them in.

Hi ChrisS,

I am based in West Sussex, near the Brighton coast. I have Conti Sport 2 on the rear, good for a a few thousand miles yet and have been quoted 155.10 ea for conti sport 3 for the front. Tha't why thinking of a cheaper alternative.

I always read in the tyre thread about people warning against running different tyres from front to back, ie Falkens on Front and Bridgestones on the back.

I can understand to a certain degree the login in that, but it also baffles me.

The tyres are different widths to begin with so don't understand how compounds, tread patterns would make a huge difference.

It's not going to have the same effect as running a Bridgestone on the back passenger side and Falken on back drivers side where the traction control could think it has problems.

Am I over simplifying this?

I have full set of Avons on mines which were on the wheels when I got them off GT4ZED, but the fronts are getting very low now so looking to replace them, haven't priced Avons yet but I gather they may be expensive??? So might look at perhaps Falkens or something else on the front and don't see how much a problem that would be.

Probably ;)

I may not be able to explain exactly WHY it would make a difference, but I'm willing to believe that my own and others' experiences suggest that mixing tyres between the axles can lead to unpredictable grip situations and therefore frequent underwear changes :headhurt:

Probably ;)

I may not be able to explain exactly WHY it would make a difference, but I'm willing to believe that my own and others' experiences suggest that mixing tyres between the axles can lead to unpredictable grip situations and therefore frequent underwear changes :headhurt:

But if you go round a bend at 40mph and the front slides, then surely it would slide just the same if you had the same tyres on the back as it's the front tyres at fault. Similarly if the back slips out this is due to those tyres not having enough grip, not due to the front gripping 'too' much.

I have had some underwear change situations with all 4 tyres the same, so I wonder if that was the actual reason or just a case of thinking that is the reason.

To counter the argument of the rears being bigger... the car was designed, built and tested that way, hence it is set up to drive that way. If you adjust the relative levels of grips between the wheels (front to back, left to right, whatever) then you are moving away from the condition the car was designed and tested for.

Would you recommend someone fits the wider wheels on the front?

It seems like a more obvious thing to recommend against, right?

But if you mix tyres around the car how do you KNOW you haven't just put the greater overall level of grip at the front of the car? Which we all know we don't want on a torquey RWD car.

The way I see it, you can probably get away with having front/back differences in most circumstances, but the only way to be sure you're getting the safest conditions and the best from the car is to put a decent match for relative levels of grip around the car.

I can only express my view... which is largely based on the fact that I understand a lot less about the dynamics of a car than the people that designed it :)