mechanic courses etc

UNABASHED

I'm getting bored of my job and thought I might go down the mechanical engineering route and see what that does for me. Has anyone else done this and have any advice for me in terms of which courses, degrees, training, routes to go down etc.

I know this is very broad but I'm just getting it sorted in my head at the moment. I've always been interested in cars and everything that goes with it but never got too technical with them - I think it's about time that changed :teeth:

I'm getting bored of my job and thought I might go down the mechanical engineering route and see what that does for me. Has anyone else done this and have any advice for me in terms of which courses, degrees, training, routes to go down etc.

I know this is very broad but I'm just getting it sorted in my head at the moment. I've always been interested in cars and everything that goes with it but never got too technical with them - I think it's about time that changed :teeth:

speaking as an engineer who works with cars.

Engineering is simply a vast field. you need to decide where you want to go/work first and then tailor the type of engineering to what that particular sector is looking for. even in the automotive sector there are ALOT of different types of engineer employed.

just to make a silly point.... :lol:

A

Aerospace engineering

Agricultural engineering

Aquatic and environmental engineering

Army engineering maintenance

Assistive technology service provider

Astroengineering

Automation

B

Biological interface engineering

Biomechanical engineering

Bioresource engineering

C

Civil engineering

Civionics

Coastal management

Collaborative Engineering

Combat engineer

Construction engineering

D

Digital mapping

E

Earthquake engineering

Engineer

Engineering management

Engineering Science

Engineering Technologist Mobility Forum

Engineering technology

Environmental Engineering Science

Exploratory engineering

F

Facilities engineering

F cont.

Fields of engineering

Food engineering

Forensic electrical engineering

Forensic engineering

Forensic materials engineering

Forensic software engineering

G

Geomatics engineering

Geospatial engineering

Guidance, Navigation and Control

I

Index of engineering science and mechanics articles

Instrumentation

K

Kansei Engineering

L

Logistic engineering

M

Management engineering (healthcare)

Marine engineering

Methods engineering

Microfactory

Molecular engineering

Municipal or urban engineering

N

Naval architecture

Nuclear engineering

O

Ocean engineering

Optical engineering

P

Packaging engineering

Paper engineering

P cont.

Patent engineer

Petroleum engineering

Plastics engineering

Project commissioning

R

Railway systems engineering

Rehabilitation engineering

Reservoir engineering

S

Sales process engineering

Sanitary engineering

Specialty engineering

Structural engineering

Subsurface engineer

Support engineering

Surface engineering

Sustainable engineering

T

Telecommunications engineering

Test engineer

/Engineer

Thermal degradation of polymers

U

Underwater demolition

V

Vacuum engineering

W

Weapons engineering

Wind engineering

can you give me a few more examples please :lol:

Being serious I understand just how broad a question I'm asking, it's more me just putting my thoughts down tbh! I'm happy to go down the mechanic route to begin with and then branch off to wherever takes my Fancy I guess. I was thinking of taking a C&G intro to mechanical engineering course so I can decide which direction to go in.

Wind engineering

I've just had a curry, do I qualify for this job? :lol:

lmao :lol:

ok, if your looking for automotive then that narrows it down :)

now its the decision between whether you want to be hands on and work in a garage or work in design of some form and work for a manufacturer/supplier. the former will allow you great flexibility in location etc and the later will force you to move to the job but have better benefits. also it does depend on your qualification level and previous area of experience as to how fast you will progress and how many of the initial levels you can skip :)

im a building service engineer and currently doin masters in building design... very interesting but not that handy when tryin to fix the zed

i'd finish that first, get a job in it and pick up the motor tinkering as a hobby, its where i learnt most of my stuff, start with the simple jobs and work up. been doing it for years and you quickly build up your knowledge.

for extra fun you could always pick up a motor mechanics course as a night class or something. i plan to do something similiar so i can go do a kit car project. not that i don't think i could tackle it now, but i want to get a certificate first, becasue i'm sad like that and like certificates :lol:

@unabashed:

if its practical you want to do then depending on qualifications you could be an apprentice, get a qualification?

if its the development/manufacturer side you want to be involved with, a degree helps lots, finding a way ing the door is the tricky part with no experience so adding any relevant skills is a must :)

personally i wish i was under a ramp more often, i have to sit bashing the keyboard too much for my liking.