Clutch problem? Please Help!!

gunmetalzgt

Hi there.

i have had this happening for quite some time now.

i havent had the car long and presumed it to be normal.

everytime i press the accelerator the engine revs and the car shifts about half a second later.

the car feels like im ridng the clutch all the time. my fuel consumption is scary!!

i know something is definately wrong because even the cruise control has noticed it. if i use it to accelerate slowly (click at a time) it does it fine. if i do 4 clicks or more or hold it then the engine revs a little and the cruise kicks out ( as though i dipped the clutch)

what could be causing this? i think the clutch is fine, its not slipping because the car moves from standing in any gear.

Clutch release bearing?

if so what do i need to change> how much am i looking at?

if not then what is it?

any help would be very much appreciated!!

Hi there.

i have had this happening for quite some time now.

i havent had the car long and presumed it to be normal.

everytime i press the accelerator the engine revs and the car shifts about half a second later.

the car feels like im ridng the clutch all the time. my fuel consumption is scary!!

i know something is definately wrong because even the cruise control has noticed it. if i use it to accelerate slowly (click at a time) it does it fine. if i do 4 clicks or more or hold it then the engine revs a little and the cruise kicks out ( as though i dipped the clutch)

what could be causing this? i think the clutch is fine, its not slipping because the car moves from standing in any gear.

Clutch release bearing?

if so what do i need to change> how much am i looking at?

if not then what is it?

any help would be very much appreciated!!

its an automatic?

I'm no expert but to me it sounds as though the clutch is slipping, especially with you revving the engine and it not picking up straight away.

Try going quite slow in 5th/6th (ie low revs) and flooring it - see if the revs go up but the car doesn't accellerate. If so it's your clutch.

Having said that I was of the opinion that the cruise control would be disengaged on pressing the clutch pedal it's self, not if it detects the clutch slipping... Maybe it's cleverer than that and is intelligent enough to know if the revs increase but the speed doesn't then something's wrong.

I'm sure someone who actually knows what their talking about will be able to shed more light... :)

Try going quite slow in 5th/6th (ie low revs) and flooring it - see if the revs go up but the car doesn't accellerate. If so it's your clutch.

i've done this, the car does rev up quite a bit, but then it will start to go. so it feels like the clutch slips and then gets a grip everytime. there no burning smell ever either. i'm totally miffed :wacko:

Sounds like clutch slip to me and if so new clutch kit will be required.

I have Stock Exedy Clutch Kits available for same/next day delivery.

Special price this month at £260.00.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27436

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks Alex, will let you know if i decide to go for that.

do i need a new flywheel too?

It all depends on how long ago your clutch was last replaced really. But for the sake of a couple hundred quid you just as well change it while its all stripped out :thumbs:

I fitted a new clutch last weekend (not the most fun job ever) and now I've noticed the flywheel's on it's way out. Not sure if changing the clutch could damage it or if just having the new one makes it more apparent.

What I would say is change 'em both and save yourself the headache of doing it again a few days later like it looks I'll be doing! :bangin:

I've done 55k miles now, btw.

I fitted a new clutch last weekend (not the most fun job ever) and now I've noticed the flywheel's on it's way out. Not sure if changing the clutch could damage it or if just having the new one makes it more apparent.

What I would say is change 'em both and save yourself the headache of doing it again a few days later like it looks I'll be doing! :bangin:

I've done 55k miles now, btw.

I recently had my clutch and flywheel replaced. I was at 52k miles. It seems like this is the standard. Just a shame I didnt find that out before I bought the car!

Sounds like clutch slip to me and if so new clutch kit will be required.

I have Stock Exedy Clutch Kits available for same/next day delivery.

Special price this month at £260.00.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27436

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks Alex, will let you know if i decide to go for that.

do i need a new flywheel too?

Just as well mate when the box is out.

I have in stock the Fidanza single mass fly and the Stock OEM Nissan LUK dual mass fly and both priced at £295.00 ( over £1000.00 from Nissan )