my reversing camera install _new HU :)

yokomo

After santa left me some funds i spied deal going on a nice new double screen i thought it best to assit my usless parking abilites with a rear view camera.

Screen went in a couple of days ago and now i finished the camera install this morning so after much faffing shouting etc i give you a small install guide with pics !

first remove the pasenger side cluster to gain access to the reverse bulb and the area behind the bumper

th_IMG_0107.jpg

then take out the sparewheel etc and youl see a bung right at the back of the boot in the middle.

th_IMG_0109.jpg

pop a small hole in in and eed your signal cable and video cable through, feed about 3 feet through so it can be dropped down and then grabbed back up to light openning.

from here you can splice your power and reverse signal.

then you need to feed both back to your headunit or screen. (see guides to runing wires for amps etc its really easy)

i put my camera (£30 from maplins and also has IR night vision!) in the tow hole bung like a few other have.

feeding the wires past the bit of polystyrene was a PITA but got there in the end just pull hard !

any hows end result ...

th_IMG_0111.jpg

th_IMG_0113.jpg

hope this helps anyone doing this in future

(edit to clean up my useless typing errors!)

well ive only really used it once so far backing up to my garage door. since the camera is right at the back edge of the car i should be able to basicaly back up will im about to hit the lense !

im off out for kfc laters (hmm lazy night) so il try and post some night vision shots while im out , oh and the lense if kinda fish eye aswell.

nice one but iv always wondered about a reversing camera- is it easy to judge the distance with the object u can see in the screen? i always imagined u would need parking sensors as well?

Always found mine easy to judge. In the tow eye plug it's as far back it can get so you can practically touch a wall etc and you'll be fine. Much better than a sensor in my opinion. I've never trusted anything that decides for me and can stop bleeping if it feels like it!

fair enough lol iv seen the cameras in newer lexus's but iv never seen them being used for parking, just cant get my head around how u can judge the distance without cracking the lens lol would need to see one in use

fair enough lol iv seen the cameras in newer lexus's but iv never seen them being used for parking, just cant get my head around how u can judge the distance without cracking the lens lol would need to see one in use

It's just like looking over your shoulder but without anything in the way!