Wireless router

clarkie34

I am currently having problems with my router.It's a netgear dg834gt that I got free with sky.

The problem is it will stop streaming or lose connection when gaming wirelessly.I'm thinking of going for the faster 300mbps router.

Does anyone which would be best and easiest to connect to sky.Don't fancy a netgear again after all the crap I have had with this.

D-Link routers are about the easiest to setup if you know nothing about computers. Linksys are about the best routers on the market for domestic users. So long as you know buying a 300Mbps router will only have any benefit if your computer/laptop can send and receive over a 5Ghz bandwidth and support wireless-n. If not it will just be the same as a standard router. Also worth considering if the issue is with the router and not just with the wireless receiver in the computer/laptop.

Basic settings you'll need to know for Sky:

Encapsulation: PPPoA

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Multiplexing: VC

You will also need your Sky ADSL username and password which will be different to the one you use for your Sky webmail. Sky for some reason won't provide you with these credentials, against their terms and conditions for you to have it or something. You can try calling them and asking but I doubt you'll get anywhere since they offer internet as a free service. There is a nice little hack which I've used before to sort peoples sky routers but you need to remember that Sky can disconnect you if they find out you have done it and it isn't the easiest thing to follow http://www.asininemonkey.com/netgear-dg ... _Injection.

Good luck with that

PS. If you go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php and enter your postcode it will tell you which is your local exchange and how far away you are. The information includes all the companies who can supply internet to you, I'd say changing internet providers is easier tha messing with it. PM me if you need anymore help.

I have a netgear, which drops the connection intermittently (usually when doing Java stuff) but when I investigate, it is actually Firefox v Mcafee. I know this as my laptop which uses another anti virus, never drops connection.

Fun isn't it!

What gaming concole are you using mate? They all have settings that arent compatible for some routers. For example my gf xbox works really well with the net gear router but my PS3 hated it. Ive now got a Belkin router that works really well as long as you use a single IP address. Cant really explain how to do that on here but if you do a search for google using games console and static address it should solve the problem.

I have a netgear, which drops the connection intermittently (usually when doing Java stuff) but when I investigate, it is actually Firefox v Mcafee. I know this as my laptop which uses another anti virus, never drops connection.

Fun isn't it!

Firefox/McAfee wouldn't cause your connection to drop. They could stop your web browser from going on the internet which would look like your connection has dropped but if the wifi symbol shows a connection with a little globe then you're still on the internet. You can open a command prompt and do something like 'ping google.com' to test if you're still on internet. If it works then yes you have an application error which is most likely caused by the McAfee firewall. Try turning thr McAfee firewall off, the Windows firewall will default back on which is fine.