modifiying a Greddy front lip...

sketch

right, got this lip from another member as it was cracked clean in half, ive had quite a bit of experiance with fibreglass in the past so decided to give it a go... only problem is im not sure i like the lip....all the pics ive seen of it, i just dont think it looks quite right?

anyway i decided the main thing i didnt like was how far it came up at the ends so decided to shorten it a bit... the once both ends matched perfectly i joined the spoiler back together, using a few techniques that held my drift car bumpers together... and now its looking good, cars goin to the bodyshop on 4th of jan for my new spoiler, unsure if i can afford to get this painted at the same time but we'll have to se later

heres some pics:

P1000704.jpg

as you can see it was a very nice break, made joining the parts back together very easy and could see it had been repared before with what looked like a plastic ruler? anyway, it wasnt quite man enough for the job as it split again, after it cleaned all the previuos repair work off, i keyed up the area and cleaned evrythign with carb cleaner, the used fibreglass filler to attatch a metal brace to the smaller part of the splitter

P1000701.jpg

P1000702.jpg

after id left it to dry over night i held the two peices in place and marked some dots either side and drilled some holes, the cable tied the two halves together, the shape of the crack really helped to get the position and angles right, once i was happy with it, i fibreglasses under the metal brace and over the top of it...

P1000705.jpg

P1000706.jpg

then once that was dry i cut the cable ties off and used a soldering iron to melt the end of the cable ties to fill the holes, then i fibreglassed another metal brace to the front of the spoiler fo extra surpport, im very happy with it so far and fingers crossed it wont break again... then the next morning gave the front a bit of a snad and a quick skim of filler... looking really good now, ive test fitted in to the car to make sure nothing had moved and it fits perfectly

just got to finish off a bit of sanding to the front then it just needs painting

i was just wondering if people think i should now leave it as is or if I should alter it anymore? and if so what?

as you can see the ends have been but down the smoothed the corners off

P1000699.jpg

heres a pic of it back in one peice, and one with just the sanding on the front to do, im gonna put a layer or two of glass fibre sheet on the back to make it extra strong but cant do that till im back at work, already had enuff aggro for fibreglass in the house as the grage is too cold, made the whole house stink christmas eve lol

P1000713.jpg

P1000714.jpg

P1000715.jpg

yeah, i bought it off srobrien after he broke it getting into his garage?, from rubbing it don it looks to have had a couple of coats of paint lol, yeah it is an original Greddy one, why so many owners? what do people not like about it?

first owner bought it, but it was broken in delivery, he got a free repalcement. had it sitting around for ages.

i originally bought just to repair and sell on. as i got it off a previous member as he was going to bin it. that was repair number 1.

that was done by my local body shop with the black rubber stuff on the inside. was told the repair was stronger than the original lip and look at the new breal he wasn't wrong as its a completely different shape.

think i sold it to nrez who couldn't make up his mind what stlye he was going for and later settled on the nismo v2 look i think, hence he sold it on to sobrien. think he was the first to spray and fit it, but had several high curb/garage/speedbump incidents think it has been repaired twice more. (you'd need to check with sobrien as he had it) think ti was driver issues not front lip issues :lol: again check with ross.

now you have it. :thumbs:

your repair work looks to have done the job, look forward to seeing it on the car.

your local to me, so will have to get a meet organised soon.

i actually like it, the greddy lip is nice.

i don't think there is much more you could do with it on the asthetics side.

my only idea would be to do the centre of the lip in black. so that it flows from the grille through the lip.

seen it done on other lips and it looks nice.