Dubai

Sarnie

Guys I need your help.......

...I'm looking to take the Mrs and the sprog to Dubai for the Mrs' 30th birthday at the start of Jan. I've been planning it for a while but tonight one thing has dawned on me; Do we need to apply for visa's to got to Dubai????? I've trawled the British embassy sites but can't find any specific info..............

Also, if anyone has any info on things to do or not do etc that would be great. How expensive is it over there to eat and drink etc?

Cheers guys

Sarnie

PS: (were staying here hopefully: http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/default.aspx )

ps it is VERY expensive eating and especially drinking!

I guessed so. Someone said to expect central London prices. I've got us a decent looking deal on a half board basis so hopefully the food thing won't be a massive issue, and we will have the sprog with us so we won't be boozing much...........

Yep - same as a lot of non-EU countries - either a mini form on the plane, or just a stamp in the passport and a small fee when you get to their passport control etc

I havent been recently, but I have friends out there - if you are staying in a resort you should be fine - but if you venture out it is very expensive!

mini night-life guide here http://travelguides.lastminute.com/sisp ... =Nightlife

I've just read that tipping is not expected?? :wacko:

I always get this wrong, nearly got lynched by a waitress in NY for not leaving a tip :scare:

LOL - I got it wrong in Egypt my 1st time there ... if you dont tip the little boy at the entrance to the toilet, you dont get any loo paper! :scare:

I was there about 2 years ago....no need for a visa but a long queue at the airport passport control...they asked us all sorts of questions before they stamp the passport...but that was it!

pricewise it was the same as uk on clothes and stuff but food varies depending on where you go...on an average a bit cheaper than uk...i could eat in sarjah for a pound fifty and in a libanese rest with belly dancers for 50 quid...its up to you...

best part of all was driving tho....perhaps worse than rome city centre in rush hour!!! haha... :D

Sarnie , I'll send you a PM with some info.

My folks have friends who live in Dubai so they go out there 2 / 3 times a year. My Dad has just drawn up an itinery for my girlfriends Sister who has a 2 day stop off in Dubai on her way back from Australia so I'll send you that for info.

JT

Sarnie , I'll send you a PM with some info.

My folks have friends who live in Dubai so they go out there 2 / 3 times a year. My Dad has just drawn up an itinery for my girlfriends Sister who has a 2 day stop off in Dubai on her way back from Australia so I'll send you that for info.

JT

Nice one :thumbs:

My Dad owns a company in Dubai (well in the free zone just outside) so he has employees that live out there and a lot of friends too. He's over over every couple of months to check things but said it's getting VERY expensive there now, he went to one of his regular haunts and a steak had gone up from £25 to £40 in a month! Also beer has almost doubled in price! He normally goes for business so not sure if he'll be up on holiday activities (apart from golf, his trips get more frequent when he's playing in the business golf league...... hmmmmm) but I'll ask him anyway.

Cheers Stew, I'm just after general info from anyone that been there such as things worth making the effort to go and see, things to avoid, what are public transport/taxi's like etc........also things like if my Mrs wears a bikini on the beach is she likely to get shot???? (if yes, I might neglect to inform her :lol: ) are there any strict rules on drinking at all? I've never been anywhere like the middle east and don't wanna get me hands chopped off!! :D

Cheers Stew, I'm just after general info from anyone that been there such as things worth making the effort to go and see, things to avoid, what are public transport/taxi's like etc........also things like if my Mrs wears a bikini on the beach is she likely to get shot???? (if yes, I might neglect to inform her :lol: ) are there any strict rules on drinking at all? I've never been anywhere like the middle east and don't wanna get me hands chopped off!! :D

Best tip I ever got when working in much stricter countries was from an american - 'Just do what the A-rabs do and you'll be alright!' :lol:

Just came back from there 6 weeks ago:

- Taxis are the cheapest and safest way to get around. Don't touch the buses. They are still finishing the trams so only a few stations are working. You don't get shot wearing bikini's on the beaches but most beaches are privately owned by the hotels. There are free/public beaches though. Drinking is only done at Bars/restaurants within hotel complexes. It is, as mentioned before, similar to west-end prices. Passport control doesn't require any forms to fill out - you just queue up and answer a few questions. It'll take an hour + to get through. As for things to do/see. Burj Al Arab (the Sail shaped hotel) - book 'high tea'. Expensive (like tea at the ritz) but would is a fantastic experience with awesome views. (you cannot get to this hotel without a high-tea booking or being a resident). Mall of the Emirates is a good traditional shopping Mall (like Blue water / lakeside) - all UK or American shops, lots of places to eat and hosts Ski Dubai (only in-door black ski run in the world). If you want to see pure opulence - then trek down to Burj Dubai Mall. Biggest Mall in the world, with a Gold Souk (market) that'll scare the hell out of you. Also hosts the tallest skyscraper in the world with an excellent fountain show each evening. If you want to do a full-on sight seeing tour - get yourself onto the 'Brown bus' tour ... same company that runs the london red-bus tours. they go to all the big sites and attractions. Also check out the 'dune bashing'.

enjoy.