How do the heated seats work?

Bundus

Just wondering as I never really did understand it.

Ive noticed that if no one is sat in the passenger seat and I turn the heater on it doesnt get hot at all - I put my hand on it and its cold. So I just want to understand how they work - what provides the heat etc??

Also as I was planning a re-trim at some point do I need to make sure the new leather is perforated like my originals to allow the heater to work?

Cheers!

It has an element in the seat that heats up. One covers the seat pan and another smaller one does the lower back. Check out the seat section in the Service Manual (download around here somewhere) and it shows how to dismantle the seats and where the elements are. I dont know if there is a weight sensor in the seat to tell it if someone is on it? My guessing is that by sitting on it you flatten the foam and the heat comes through quicker. With no weight on it, it might not come through enough before the thermostat turns it off as the element is too hot :shrug:

I wouldnt expect it to need to be perforated, but it will help get the heat through a bit quicker :)

It has an element in the seat that heats up. One covers the seat pan and another smaller one does the lower back. Check out the seat section in the Service Manual (download around here somewhere) and it shows how to dismantle the seats and where the elements are. I dont know if there is a weight sensor in the seat to tell it if someone is on it? My guessing is that by sitting on it you flatten the foam and the heat comes through quicker. With no weight on it, it might not come through enough before the thermostat turns it off as the element is too hot :shrug:

I wouldnt expect it to need to be perforated, but it will help get the heat through a bit quicker :)

Wouldn't surprise if it did have a sensor as I guess it needs one for the Airbags etc anyway. I haven't looked at the diagrams but perhaps all the seat electrickery is linked.

The seat airbags are normally run from a air pressure sensor in the door. When the door takes a large impact it increase the air pressure in the door shell and tells the airbag swtich to release the airbag. This give the airbag time to explaned befor the door hits the person. Well thats how most Merc's work anyway lol :thumbs:

The seat pretensioners are nornally triggered from sensor around the external perimitter of the car i.e bumpers etc..

Alexz

Am assuming there are no sensors............unless they get triggered by something as light as a handbag...........didn't realise my passenger seat heater was on the other day until I picked up my bag and it was toasty warm :)

Confused..... Light and handbag ???! in the same sentence :wacko::p

Ive noticed that if no one is sat in the passenger seat and I turn the heater on it doesnt get hot at all - I put my hand on it and its cold. So I just want to understand how they work - what provides the heat etc??

Also as I was planning a re-trim at some point do I need to make sure the new leather is perforated like my originals to allow the heater to work?

Am assuming there are no sensors............unless they get triggered by something as light as a handbag...........didn't realise my passenger seat heater was on the other day until I picked up my bag and it was toasty warm :)

I'm presuming the UK owners manual is the same, as the NZ ones. On one of the pages it says don't put the heated seat button on if the seat is empty. An empty seat will heat up, if empty. ;) Maybe your Z's seat is malfunctioning Bundus.

This may just be the way the heat is conducted.

I've noticed before if you have an electric blanket on a bed with no duvet or person on it it simple doesn't get warm.

i can only assume that because the level of heat is actually very low and near the surface the heat simple soaks (radiates?) away into the air rather than warming up the bed (or in this case seat). So my guess would be it comes on but doesn't actually have much effect unless there is something on it (person, shopping, handbag etc!)

Just a guess though....

There are weight sensors in some of the newer models, but I forget which and why they are there. If you search around on my350z.com for the "seat resistor mod" used to trick the car into thinking the airbag is there when it isnt when replacing seats, some of the newer cars have a bladder which is pressure sensative which has to be wrapped up and squeezed also to make the car think everything is ok when bucket seats are fitted. Dont think that applies to Andy's car as its a bit older.

From the wiring diagram, it certainly doent look like they are pressure sensative in the model we are talking about, and as with Vik, I have had things on an empty passenger seat that have heated up before :thumbs:

I've noticed before if you have an electric blanket on a bed with no duvet or person on it it simple doesn't get warm.

i can only assume that because the level of heat is actually very low and near the surface the heat simple soaks (radiates?) away into the air rather than warming up the bed (or in this case seat). So my guess would be it comes on but doesn't actually have much effect unless there is something on it (person, shopping, handbag etc!)

Just a guess though....

I think this may be the answer. Im not certain but Id tend to agree that if there was nothing on the seat then there is nothing to get warm and the heat in the seat is probably minimal enough that you wouldnt feel it just by putting your hand there?? I could be wrong though.

Perhaps someone else couild test for me. Next time your out for a drive whack your passenger seat heater on and then give it some time and feel the seat with your hand. Can you physically feel any heat?

Thanks a lot guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a guess though....

I think this may be the answer. Im not certain but Id tend to agree that if there was nothing on the seat then there is nothing to get warm and the heat in the seat is probably minimal enough that you wouldnt feel it just by putting your hand there?? I could be wrong though.

Perhaps someone else couild test for me. Next time your out for a drive whack your passenger seat heater on and then give it some time and feel the seat with your hand. Can you physically feel any heat?

Thanks a lot guys.

I tried this the other night and although the passenger seat got a little warm it certainly wasn't hot like the drivers seat, if it hadn't been a cold night I don't think I would have noticed the it warming at all to be honest. So I don't think there is any sort of switch it just doesn't have anything to keep the warmth in...

Just a guess though....

Thanks a lot guys.

I tried this the other night and although the passenger seat got a little warm it certainly wasn't hot like the drivers seat, if it hadn't been a cold night I don't think I would have noticed the it warming at all to be honest. So I don't think there is any sort of switch it just doesn't have anything to keep the warmth in...

I think that answers that then - at least I know my seats not faulty.

Cheers mate :thumbs: