Grounding Kits, whats the point?

sparky370z

the grounding installed by nissan isnt the best, doesnt use the best connectors or wire. this can lead to electrical noise through the wires which is then picked up by the ECU's and can distort some signals and slow them down or give them false readings. by improving the grounding you give the ECU's cleaner signals to work with and thus improve their reponse time and accuracy. generally people report that installing this can smooth the idle of the vehicle. it may also have other positive effects which are unnoticable to the user. I cant see there being any drawbacks to this mod whatsoever. IMO i would say it is a practical mod and looks good too. :)

I have one, it did the square root of f-all.

Just so you know, i think it is a very mixed batch of results, I suppose it depends on how well the stock grounding is. I wouldn't go spending £200 on one, just get a £40 job off ebay and if it doesn't work then no big loss.

Also if you have a lumpy idle then try removing your throttle body and giving it a good clean with a mechanical cleaning spray and do and ECU reset. I found that to be the biggest help. The TB gets filthy after a while. (oh be careful not to nudje/adjust the butterfly valve inside the TB by mistake).

R

I have one, it did the square root of f-all.

Just so you know, i think it is a very mixed batch of results, I suppose it depends on how well the stock grounding is. I wouldn't go spending £200 on one, just get a £40 job off ebay and if it doesn't work then no big loss.

Also if you have a lumpy idle then try removing your throttle body and giving it a good clean with a mechanical cleaning spray and do and ECU reset. I found that to be the biggest help. The TB gets filthy after a while. (oh be careful not to nudje/adjust the butterfly valve inside the TB by mistake).

R

as you say it does depend on how bad the original is in the first place. i wouldnt go selling my right b@ll@ck for one though. 200 quid is very steep! 40 sounds reasonable, or make it yourself.

Be very, very careful cleaning the throttle body, they are very sensitive!

Lumpy idle is also sometimes caused by running with the aircon off - turn it on and see if that improves things (I think they are designed to run with it on all the time) before you start messing with the TB.

Pretty sure that's where I got mine from. The battery clip isn't the best in the world and the cable coatings aren't looking as bright as they once did (after 1.5years), but I did notice a difference with it on. Not sure about improved throttle response or anything like that, but when pulling away from junctions, particularly when cold, there was a bit of a stutter. It was something that I'd got completely used to as a trait of the car but it was really noticeable by its absence once the kit went on. Much smoother at low revs and when cold. Piece of cake to stick on too, and for £40, why not?!

n827150313_4472644_1942.jpg

Yeah, I think I might give it a try. Like you say, for £40 why not! :)

Grounding kits definately work and smoothens out the idle :thumbs:

I have an almost new one for sale at £35 ono delivered. It has a clear plastic sheath so you can see the beautiful copper weave beneath and gold connectors :thumbs: