NEW YORK

T8 JPE

Picked up my tickets for New York yesterday :yahoo: and cant wait

Im taking the girlfriend for her birthday and going for 5 days.

Are there any places that people would recommend thats not just the usual ie; empire state building, statue of liberty etc?

Cheers

I went in April last year with my mate, and then in Dec with my ex missus ( :scare: ) :lol:

So, with a little experience I particularly enjoyed the following:

Central Park is a must!! Especially this time of year as the ice rink will be open, you can laugh at one another face planting your way around :lol::lol: (hopefully not, btw)!!! There is also a zoo in Central Park, which is pretty good.

East Village is a nice, cultural part of Manhatten, good shopping round there, too, in my opinion, anyway.

Plenty of good shops and restaurants on 5th Avenue between 34th and 59th Street.

Also, I would say to go up The Empire State Building at night. To see the overview of NYC lit up at night is nuts!

Hope this is a little help to you.

Have a very good trip!! :wave::teeth:

Oh, and while on 5th Avenue you will no doubtedly be sucked into paying for tickets w/ 'free' drinks coupons to The Comedy Club.

If you do, as I did, (and I was a little apprehensive to begin with), but don't be too put off, it actually turned out to be a really good night for me (and the ex), very funny stand-up comics.

If you don't come across people trying to sell you these tickets and you did maybe want to go, there are plenty of comedy clubs around.

One hint: Go up the Empire State OR The Rockerfella Centre NOT both as they are both in the same vicinity and therefore the same views. And for photo's your gonna want the Empire State building in them not The Rockerfella ;)

Thats what I've been told too. They do a sunrise and sunset ticket which is quite tempting for when Amanda and I go there for her birthday in Jan :thumbs:

Empire State from the Rockerfella:

399.jpg

Times Square from a cab :lol:

415.jpg

New York from the Ferry on the way to the Statue of Liberty:

429.jpg

Statue of Liberty:

Image069.jpg

$20 beef sandwich at Carnegies :scare:

412.jpg

One of my fav pics:

413.jpg

And finally a zed (through the blur :p )

441.jpg

:)

Cheers for the advice guys.

Good tips about the Rockafella rather than the empire state.

Got the warm clothes out already although the foercast for the last few days has been quite mild.

Staying in the Hudson hotel which is close to the time warner centre next to central park, so a horse drawn cart is a must.

Thanks for the advice on the search button Sarnie. I'm still crap with that after a year and a bit on here :blush:

Horse and Cart you say?

380.jpg

:lol:

Depending on how long your there for and your budget, don't underestimate just how big the place is. What may look like a nice walk, can take over an hour with crowds etc. Best advice is to jump in a cab at every opportunity and they are pretty cheap to be fair and they can save you valuable time as they know where everything is...

On my birthday night we had dinner at the Marriot in Times Square which has a revolving restaurant at the top over looking NY B)

But the bill was :scare:

The exchange rate is better now than when I went, it was nearly £1 to $1 when i went making everything in the shops either the same price or more expensive than at home which really ruined the shopping experience for us......plus my Mrs was 6.5 months pregnant and whinging all the time :lol::bangin:

Tut tut gentlemen - you need to read up on your Art deco :lol:;)

Empire State

Chrysler building

Radio City hall

General Electric Building

etc etc etc

Yes Miami is Art Deco central I know somewhere else I want to go - if I could get away with it I would do a USA tour of all this but I dont have that much time or money! :blackeye:

I will have to do with that art deco hotel they have refitted in Morcambe at least its up the road ! :blink:

Keep the ideas coming guys, I'm sure Amanda will appreciate new ways to spend my money! :lol:

Think I am going to get a new Canon G11 for the trip, CBA to hike my SLR around all over the shop (quite literally!) :teeth: Think I will walk around and take photos while she spends money in the shops :lol:

If your going to Liberty island get there early as the queues are massive but entertaining if the street acrobats are about.

Greenwich village (if thats how you spell it) and south ferry seaport lovely for a pizza :)

+1, we went on the first ferry of the day at about 7.30am if I remember rightly, everyone got off at the island but we didn't as you couldn't go up the statue then, don't know if you can again now? Which meant that there was pretty much no-one on the ferry on the trip back, no jostling for photos was nice! Saw the street acrobats the day before they were ace.

One hint: Go up the Empire State OR The Rockerfella Centre NOT both as they are both in the same vicinity and therefore the same views. And for photo's your gonna want the Empire State building in them not The Rockerfella ;)

Gotta +1 this as well.

Some people say Cabs are best, I think they're good, definitely better than the underground but I enjoyed walking sometimes as well to get more of a feel for the place. Also I loved Madison Square Garden and the less visited NBA store as well, thought that place was ace, to be fair I am a big basketball friend but my friend who isn't loved it too!

Couple of pics, trying to give Sarnie a run for his money...

View from Top of the Rock

EmpireState.jpg

New York Taxi's

NewYorkTaxisBW.jpg

Statue of Liberty:

StatueofLiberty.jpg