Nippon Challenge 24 October 2009

Ebized

Got to see Mr Lizard (Steve) experiencing Brands for the first time - in the wet and just his second race outing in the ZED - and he did bloody well. Good to meet Steve and his crew (keeping us fed :thumbs: )for the first time and seeing how the car is coming along for racing.

Darren, (my other toy is a 255bhp supercharged jet ski -did I hear that power ouput right :scare: ) and his mate Alex who now both have MX's for track playtime and Mark from Abbey Motorsport who had come along to offer some help and advice to Steve, it was a really great day out and the damp conditions pailed into insignificance.

From 19th on the grid in his first race, having understandably been tentitive in qualifying in the first early wet session that morning and for the first time using 888's that had just had grooves cut and still had the gel coat on them, Steve finshed a very creditable 10th overall and third in Class. When you consider most the cars in front were Scoobys/Evos and Tegs in the hands of people who have probably been doing the series all year and have been racing a lot longer than Steve - I call that a very impressive. :notworthy:

His second race meant he started 10th on the grid, a place he held to the end having been passed by a few (who had had 'moments' in the first race) but also passing others in the process. He kept THAT green Teg with whom he had a great battle at the previous race at Mallory behind him, and again with some great driving did he did the same again - in the wet this time.

We all know how you have to treat the ZEDS with respect in the wet which is why his results against much lighter cars and 4 x 4 is such a great outcome given that he has no fancy suspension or diff set-ups to help. Yes the car has been lightened - to an extent, but there is much to be done yet compared to those currently finishing ahead of him. I am sure that with the help of Abbey and others (and a better dry weather tyre choice for the series next year that suits the ZED ;) )that will improve the results next year.

I know everyone on here will want to wish you well for next season Steve to get that :#1: in your Class

Just a few pics/short vids on the day:

Start of the first race going into Paddock Hill (felt sorry for the 200SX that had to pull at the start but at least he got a better run in the second race)

th_P1060235.jpg

Making a pass under braking into Paddock

P1060237.jpg

Being passed by a Scooby that won both races by miles - jeeeeesus that was quick

th_P1060244.jpg

Returning to and in the paddock after the first race

P1060248.jpg

P1060252.jpg

Not quite the usual interior ina ZED :lol:

P1060264.jpg

This Swift was unbeliveably quick - it so light (400kilgos???0 and the engine sounds like it is screaming to get out but hats off to the driver in the way he was literally throwing it into Paddock Hill. Fortunately not in the same Class as Steve :blush:

P1060251.jpg

The start of Steve's second race - the Pink Scooby had jumped the lights but the 10 second penalty made no difference to the race winning margin he built up

th_P1060256.jpg

And here's Steve keeping that green TEG at bay

th_P1060259.jpg

and finally, just an example of the track conditions on the day - and every time Steve took the infamous Padock Hill Bend Steve had it fully under control :)

P1060255.jpg

Well done mate.

Thanks for taking the time to come down Colin, shame about the conditions like but at least you had the 350z-uk hat to keep you warm :)

Pictures and vids are excellent, thanks for that! :)

Very good to meet you and ill sort you out the reflectors as soon as i can, ill also write a race report later and post it into this thread!

Further thanks to the Team Mrs Lizard, Mark, Dan and support from Colin, Mark from Abbey Motorsport, Darrenb and Alex...

oh, and the sponsors :p

That was the last race of the season now but i will be testing in the out season, get those laptimes down

Very well done Steve and great respect for pitching the zed against that field in less than perfect conditions. Looks like you coped very well indeed. :clap:

I will have to get down to one of the dates for next year. it looks like a great day out.

Thanks for the pics and vids Colin. :D