I hate (a feature of) this site!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience

It works but we seem to have lost the bracketed number indicating how many new posts since last visit - can we have that back please :)

errrrrr.......

Yes we can - there are several options that can be looked at.

1st is to have the "number of posts since last visit",

This is different from "unread posts" - as these will be posts that remain unread throught logon/logoff events.

We can also add a "number of topics that have unread posts" - which is different from number of unread posts, as it will simply be the number of topics you have to catch up on, not the number of posts.

Ill look into implementing all of the above.

EDIT - adding a number to "unread posts" will substantially slow down the index page, as it will require a query running on every topic containing unread posts, to calculate the numberof individual posts.

I can add the "number of posts since last visit" and "number of topics containing unread posts"

The unread posts button will still show ALL unread posts though.

Clear ? :wacko:

So does this mean that If I don't log on for a month (as if) when I come back and click view unread posts that potentially I could have 20 pages of unread stuff?Hope so :yahoo:

Can I also just remind everybody that this was .....ahem.... MY IDEA!!!!

1 good idea from 1000 posts is not a bad ratio really :ninja:

Yes that did happen before, but when you logged off, it discarded them - log back on again and you only got the ones posted between logging off and on...

This way it remembers them forever.

Try it.

look at the unread topics now - then log off (use the log off button top right) - then log back in again - hey presto they are still there.

There are some tweaks - like the numbers etc that I need to work on, but the basics are there.

So does this mean that If I don't log on for a month (as if) when I come back and click view unread posts that potentially I could have 20 pages of unread stuff?Hope so :yahoo:

this is what was happening before mate...

No it didn't :p

Guest prescience

Thanks Chris. How do I Mark All Forums Read now or do I have to read every topic to make it disappear from the list

Answer - I need to go to each sub-section individually and mark as read (this isn't nested eeither) :thumbdown:

Got to say that I really dislike the way this is set up now and it is putting me off. Sorry :(

Guest prescience

That is a bit negative so let me say what I prefer :)

a) I don't mind the new feature of new posts no longer registering in the list but I preferred the old where they just greyed out

B) If the new feature stays (cos people like it) I would like a button for 'Today's Active Topics' so can return to a topic where I have read the posts earlier but now wish to post - its bloody difficult to find that with the new approach

c) I would like the 'Mark All Forums Read' option back please, so once I have looked at topics I am interested in, I can easily get the others off my list cos I'm not interested

d) I would like to see the total number of posts since I last visited displayed since I can then work out if its worth me doing a recce of them

e) I don't mind if the number of topics since last visit is identified but its not something I need

That is a bit negative so let me say what I prefer :)

a) I don't mind the new feature of new posts no longer registering in the list but I preferred the old where they just greyed out

B) If the new feature stays (cos people like it) I would like a button for 'Today's Active Topics' so can return to a topic where I have read the posts earlier but now wish to post - its bloody difficult to find that with the new approach

c) I would like the 'Mark All Forums Read' option back please, so once I have looked at topics I am interested in, I can easily get the others off my list cos I'm not interested

d) I would like to see the total number of posts since I last visited displayed since I can then work out if its worth me doing a recce of them

e) I don't mind if the number of topics since last visit is identified but its not something I need

Your all me me me me :p

Dorians 'b' suggestion is a good idea imo :thumbs:

Idea b was the sole reason for me suggesting this change! I'd skim read a few threads at work with the aim of posting later but by time I logged in again at home it was impossible to know which threads it was as they would all disappear. :scare:

Idea b was the sole reason for me suggesting this change! I'd skim read a few threads at work with the aim of posting later but by time I logged in again at home it was impossible to know which threads it was as they would all disappear. :scare:

Well it's half way there!!!!

Just need this feature (today's active topics) to save time trawling through the site... Your actual suggestion was for topics that you hadn't read to still be there when you come back, which they are ;)

Well it's half way there!!!!

Just need this feature (today's active topics) to save time trawling through the site... Your actual suggestion was for topics that you hadn't read to still be there when you come back, which they are ;)

I know, I never said it wasn't :p

Just need this feature (today's active topics) to save time trawling through the site...

So why when you read a thread that you want to back to don't you just mark it as unread so it reappears when you come back? :thumbs: